• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Swimming for cardio

Discussion in 'Training' started by Capone, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

If you're using it correctly the erg is predominantly leg work.

Br

2. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

Rowing is predominantly lowerbody if you are doing it right. Low impact without much eccentric motion shouldnt leave you very sore...but its a hip dominant exercise.

Br

3. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

\

I actually dont float. I blame my quads. Yes, rythmic breathing is crucial. Depending on your length and intensity its a breath every 2-4 strokes. Short sprints are usually every 2 breaths, pick a side youre comfortable with. Typically its every 3 strokes, I suggest this unless you wanna get competitive. Longer swims (>/=1 mile) the swimmer may choose to breathe every 4 strokes. Are you blowing out in between? Blowing bubbles eliminates time spent exhausting air and allows more time for intake.

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

I've found learning to turn my body to breath rather than my head has helped out a lot. You can check it out under the pose method of swimming. Also, I don't breath out between breaths. I breath out hard as I come up for air, which creates and elastic recoil and helps me to pull more air in. At least, this is what the swim coach at school has me doing.

Br

5. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

I did think to turn my body for breath, helps extend my stroke as well and keep straight. But the lung recoil is a new concept to me. That's interesting. Makes sense, different approaches I suppose.

6. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Swimming for cardio

I don't know if he's still around on here...but, bikeswimlive gave me some great advice and resources regarding swimming that really helped my technique and endurance.

Br