• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • OK SO we are old(er), yes I get it but

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by Raleoxilevz, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

How many of you truly feel old? I am not starting this thread for a look how awesome "we" are because we train thread, but more along the lines on how you truly feel, mentally and physically.

I mean and this is real talk, I don't feel "old" at all. I mean not one bit. Also my mental state is not "old" meaning I don't think like an old person. OK you ask what do you mean "think" like an old person? Well I don't hate loud music, I don't get mad at younger people with sh!t like "Back in the days we used to yada yada yada bu!!sh!t", I also find myself bored to death if I converse with a person my age as their topic of discussion just never entertains my thoughts. I find I can relate to younger people in conversation.

The physical thing is obvious, I rarely stay home sitting around doing nothing, I mean I go to the gym almost daily, on weekend I go out dancing, in the winter we play football, if it is summer I go out and play basketball, softball,ride bike, go swimming at the pool or beach etc etc.

But the mental thing? Well I think this has to do with my level of maturity. I think because I still act and think like a 20 year old it has transcend into my physical attributes. Is this a bad thing? Well yes and no, bad thing because I should stop acting like a f'cking fool already and the good thing is, it has kept me young, extremely young physically.

So, question, do you guys feel old?

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

OK SO we are old(er), yes I get it but

Nope. I still think I'm in my 20's.

I look around at some of the other parents in my kids' school and I feel really young compared to them. Especially in my 8 year old's class. I had him at 32, so there is no way I am one of the younger parents there. But, I look it. They all seemed to give up, and I'm not just talking about being in shape. They dress like old people, don't bother with their hair, makeup, etc.

And I'm with you on the conversation - boring. Mainly because they don't seem to have any interests aside from their kids. Don't get me wrong, my kids are the most important thing in my life. But I don't want to sit around and just talk about them and how great they are (aren't all of our kids great?). I have my own things going on that I'd prefer to talk about, and I'd prefer to hear about what other people are doing that isn't kid related.

3. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Most of the time, no, I don't feel 55 until I start dwelling on my age which usually happens on/around my birthday. I'm strong as fck (example: just set a pr in incline db press at 47.5 x 8, db delt press at 40 lb dbs x 9, rack pulls at 350 lbs x 4 plus squatting deeper for more reps 6 mos post op, body weight dips at 12 reps etc). Doing these little things in the gym is truly what keeps me feeling like I'm still in my 20s. Next weekend im goiing to see bassnectar - crowd will be less than half my age but i hold my own and don't care.. Staying fit, eating right and on top of my health ensures that I age at a slower rate (at least that's what I think).

Age is a matter of mind: if you don't mind it doesn't matter.

4. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

I feel ya on the kid thing. I have grandchildren and I never want to get into a conversation on "all the cute things they do" I might however from time to time express my love for them, but topic of discussion? I rather talk about what is the latest tweet!

5. jailynn24hb

Believe me, you're not even close to old. Mentally and physically, I don't feel old either. Can identify with almost everything you stated, especially "find myself bored to death if I converse with a person my age as their topic of discussion just never entertains my thoughts." Probably explains why most of my friends, especially at the gym, are 20 to 30 years younger than I am. As for "the mental thing", am often told I act more like a 17-year old. Also go to the gym (often twice/day if I'm doing morning cardio), swim, sail and kayak. Tho I don't teach anymore, I still Scuba dive (wreck and cavern) every chance I get. Oh yeah, I'm one day out from weigh-in (carbing up and staying away from the gym today and tomorrow); BORED and tired of practicing my routine and posing, probably explains why I'm here in misc.

6. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

you're only as old as they feel you are

7. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Feel old... naa dude.. naa....

8. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

can you still sprint for 10 seconds without having to take a nap?

9. jailynn24hb

I don't feel or think old. I'm stuck in my early 30's. Wish the outside would match the inside

10. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Right there with you.

I really dont talk to anyone my age except here.

They look at me like i am crazy.

I get along much better with younger people.

It just seems that some people want to be old and not be able to do things. i cant tell you how many times i would mention running or squats only to hear how bad their knees are or how they have a bad back or some other ailment that prevents them from doing these things.

Maybe i got the good knee and back gene or something because mine feel fine and I am not super athlete by any stretch but still train.

I dont really get along at all with most people my age and it seems the older i get the deeper the division grows.

Oh well.

Tags: