• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • My Tricep routine too much?

Discussion in 'Training' started by laxgoaliesrhs, Oct 13, 2012.

1. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

This is the tricep portion of my Chest/Tri day
      Close grip bench 4 sets 6-10 reps
      Weighted dips 4 sets 8-12 reps
      Skull crushers 4 sets 8-12 reps

chest also involves 3 compound lifts.

Im considering switching either dips or cgb with a cable pushdown, any thoughts? Im going for mass.

2. latin

latin Well-Known Member

My Tricep routine too much?

I only do 1 exercise for tri's on upper day as far as isolation (either overhead one arm dumbbell extension or cable pulldown because they hit every head if done right) so personally yes, but if you progressing and recovering stick with what works. Would stick with 2 at least though if I was doing a chest/tri day. Gotta remember your hitting them on the press movements already. Weighted dips are probably the BEST overall chest workout if you widen positioning...would never take them out of a routine. Close grip bench is probably the least effective out of those.

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

That's a lot of sets for such a small muscle group, especially considering it gets a lot of work during Pressing moves.

Bottom line though--are you progressing the weight you're able to lift with good form on a fairly consistent basis with this routine? If so, continue to march. If not, some adjustment is necessary somewhere.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Ok, so stick with say Dips and skull crushers?

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

What are your chest movements? I honestly consider dips more of a chest exercises unless you're completely 90 degrees when you're doing them. 100% yes, either have skullcrushers or any form of full RoM extension (overhead, on bench, etc.) with barbell or dumbbells preferably, hits every head of the biceps so saves a lot of unnecessary time on useless isolation crap.

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Last edited by KarmicEffects; Today at 11:14 AM.

7. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Chest would be
      Flat bench
      incline flys
      Decline cable flys

My triceps are lagging and my chest is probly my best, so id like to focus more on triceps for a while.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Probably would be better off switching to Incline press instead of flies (dumbbells would be perfect, esp. if you're doing barbell bench) ...right there you would get a much needed hit on triceps. Flies are overated...not saying take them out because it does help with width but it's just not effective esp. for you since your doing chest/tris...they require alot more bicep stabilization the tricep power, and you already hit them once. Decline flies have been shown to be ineffective too...better off just doing flat and going low with the motion...(not to be confused with decline presses though, those are very effective for some people)

So something like :

Flat Bench/Press
      Incline Bench/Press
      Decline Bench/Press (or fly in your case low cable flys) Or Wide Dips

Skullcrushers
      Cable pulldown

Should be PLENTY of volume and that's if you do 3 sets each...nevermind that you like doing 4

9. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

I have been prgressing with cgb, my dips ive hit a wall, and skulls ive hit a wall. I know i need adjusting im just not sure where.

10. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Awesome, any other tips to focus more on the triceps? My chest is seeing great gains in size and strength.

Tags: