• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Massive Craphammer Coming Down on Penn State

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by alomjabpd, Jul 22, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

2. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Massive Craphammer Coming Down on Penn State

I have been reading a bit on this. Its interesting in that the NCAA's purpose is to ensure competitive balance, to ensure the rules are being followed. As disgusting as this has been, it seems to be outside the NCAA's intended purpose.

IMO, this is a situation that would have taken care of itself, I think the Penn States reputation has been so tarnished that the days of it being a football power are in the past even with out the ban hammer!! People will likely have their kids avoid that school as if it carried the plague.

3. Greg

Greg Well-Known Member

I was a huge paterno fan and even held on till more evidence came out. But SMU got te death penalty for payments penn states gonna get what they deserve.

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

I'm torn on the NCAA jurisdiction issue. I think it is reasonable to say this is outside of the NCAA's mandate, but it is outside the bounds of human decency too. The old line about bad cases making bad law applies here too. This is an inconceivable event. No one could have contemplated a situation where a major public university facilitated the raping of boys by protecting the rapist for fifteen years. An extraordinary event requires an extraordinary response.

Anyone concerned about a precedent being set need only avoid shielding a child rapist for 15 years on their campus.

In that regard, it may be the best result. Public disgust will only be addressed by punishing their football team in a way that is deemed appropriate. Hiding behind pettifogging rules and mandates would only invite more criticism and maybe political intervention. Right or wrong, once the public gets their pound of flesh, everyone can move on.

5. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

It is rare that anything that needs to be described as the bold does comes out on the right end of the scale. Don't get me wrong, they deserve a very harsh punishment, I just have issues with organizations that feel they can usurp power as they deem necessary. Further, what the public wants is rarely what the public needs.

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Last edited by SP1966; Today at 07:29 PM.

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

But it is the NCAA responcabity to protect the sport from bad outside influences. Right now all of college sports are tarnished by this and I think it's their responsibility to drop the hammer

8. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Penn State but honestly what good would vacating wins do?

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

That is not at all my understanding, the NCAA is responsible for keeping a level playing field amongst its member schools. It is responsible to ensure that all schools are playing by the same rules in so far as recruiting and other sports related areas that can be exploited to gain unfair advantage. This issue lies entirely outside of that mandate. Of course I also understand the need to ensure this type of thing never happens again.

10. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Remove a few trophies from their cabinets, otherwise not much else.

Edit: I will be surprised if the vacated wins don't in fact significantly reduce the level of accomplishment that can be attributed to Paterno, a manner of stripping his legacy of much of its shine.