• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • machines vs free weights

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by remstation, Sep 10, 2012.

1. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

OK I'm not trying to start a war or anything, just trying to get some advice from anyone experienced in this...
      I have an opportunity to try out a gym, after working out at home with free weights/power rack for the last few years.
      This gym has matrix machines, which seem to be well-designed, and I'm hoping will offer some help with my shoulder/tricep pain (at the end of the chest press, for example, the handles move in a little to alleviate the stress that your wrist/arm would have on a straight bar).
      Anyway, what are the general feelings regarding the effectiveness of machines? I have not used machines since Nautilus was at our local club in the 80's.
      I'm training mainly for hypertrophy, if that matters. I'm looking at mixing the free weights with the machines, possibly. Thanks.

2. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

Machines are the main reason I keep my gym membership. I have all free weights at home but I do like getting into the gym a couple times a week for for some machine work.

3. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

my gym has a ton of machines but I much prefer the free weights. I just find the motion of the machines don't always feel natural to me.

4. emulsions78

emulsions78 Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

Lulz!

For bodybuilders, they're indispensable, allowing a much wider selection of options than found only with free weights. Just like all of the various tools in a well-stocked mechanic's too box, machine and free weight exercises together are the smart way to train. Using a specific tool for a specific job = win.

I've never seen/known any decently-developed bodybuilder who didn't use any machine work in his/her training.

5. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

I use both but mostly free weights.

6. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

I work out at home. I have free weights and a cable machine.
      I find the free weights work best for compound movements and most heavy isolation work but the cable machine is great for things like pushdowns, pulldowns, hamstring curls and leg extensions. I also like it for high rep, low weight exercises and I find it particularly good for warmups.
      I probably do 75% of my workouts on free weights and 25% on the cable machine.

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

I have tried many machines over time and the Matrix ones are !Superb! Great angles, great tension, smooth, in many ways better than Hammer.

8. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

The guy who owns the place has been running gyms for years, he says the Matrix people come out whenever there is an update/improvement (i.e. to a console on a bike, or to a mechanism on a weight machine part) and they make the changeout on the spot, no charge. I thought that was pretty unique.

9. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

Thanks as always, Bill. Good explanation as usual. I think I'll try some tools I haven't used before, at first, then try to blend them in with the free weights.

10. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

machines vs free weights

Well before Matrix i never sat down in a piece of equip and said"wow this feels different, but good".