• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • how do people squat so heavy?

Discussion in 'Training' started by defelqy, May 16, 2012.

1. Musclemetal

Musclemetal Well-Known Member

how do people squat so heavy?

Can you do 3 reps of 8-12 with 5 pounds?

2. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I think that it should be possible but i wouldn't be able to hit that many with a barbell though.
      Like even 3x20 no weights, my thighs feel like rubber and i can hardly go down the stairs after that.
      Are low reps with weight better than high reps with little / no weight to increase strength and stamina?

3. scooby

scooby Well-Known Member

I can squat over 400 lbs and one set of 20 BW squats gives me some burn in my legs, a slightly elevated heart rate, and heavier than normal breathing for about a minute or two. Two more sets probably wouldn't have me sweating, but my legs would probably be nearing jello state.

The issue isn't the weight - its the number of reps. Start with an empty barbell, do a set of 5, wait a few minutes, and keep adding weight unil you can't do a set of 5 with good form anymore. You will be surprised how much you are actually capable of squatting.

4. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

I'd bet money this is more an endurance/conditioning issue than an actual strength issue.

I suggest trying 3x10 with the bar and see how you feel. If you can press the weight for those reps, then add 5 pounds per week.

Endurance/conditioning will improve the longer you lift. I wouldn't push lifting heavy right away, but I'd be seriously surprised if you couldn't hit 3x10 with the bar.

5. emulsions78

emulsions78 Well-Known Member

Yes. The way muscle grows is by progressive overload, meaning you have to gradually increase the weight you have on your body to get stronger. So maybe try a weightless barbell with 3 reps of 8-12 until you can do more then 13, without getting winded. They up it to 5 or even 2.5.

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I'll start by trying that then. Thanks for all the help everyone.
      And to petergibbon and rasputin, i think it's an endurance thing too.
      Thanks for the confidence.

7. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I find bw fairly challenging (I squat very wide) so breaking parallel with a very wide stance without the weight pulling me down is a challenge!

Start adding weight op.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I can almost guarantee you it has to do with flexibility. Start stretching out your glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors and quads every day, should make a massive difference. That's pretty depressing that you can only go to 90 degrees with your body weight, but start stretching and you'll improve in no time.

9. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

high reps squat =/= heavy weight squats. Endurance and strength are not that related, I can squat 225lbs for some reps and couple a months ago i couldnt make it to the gym so i did circuits at home doing 25 pull ups - 50 pushups - 100 squat (3 rounds) i had to stop squatting arround 70-80 to get some rest before finishing, damn my legs almost gave out

If you do something very often you'll get good at it start doing heavy squats and you'll adapt do it. It's like walking, when you were little it probably was the hardest thing you'd ever done, now you do it every day and it's natural.

10. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

its all about your mindset. 3x20 bodyweight squats should give you a good burn and jello like feel. to warm up i'll do a couple body weight squats and they do get your heart rate up. doesn't mean you can't do some real weighted squats. grab the bar and give it a shot. your legs are strong, you can add decent amounts of weight at a time without it feeling like a dramatic change (unlike an iso exercise like curls where you'd only go up 5-10 pounds at a time).