• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Curbing appetite with soluble fiber while cutting.

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by Capone, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I just cut 1000 calories a day out of my diet which I ate at surplus for 4 months.

I am now cutting at 2400 cal/day. It actually feels good to have a break but there has been some hunger pains and an "empty" feeling in my stomach.

I was reading some Lyle McDonald stuff and one of his recommendations for blunting appetite was the addition of soluble fiber to meals. (like Benefiber). It is tasteless and mixes with just about anything...even greek yogurt. He explained that it slows the digestive process by creating a "gumming" effect in the intestines.

Anyway....been doing it for 2 days now and it has proven to be VERY effective for me. Two tsp in morning with breakfast (mixed in my whey shake). Two in my snack of greek yogurt mid day and two with dinner. This has really worked well for me and wanted to share. Hey....it is healthy too!

2. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Curbing appetite with soluble fiber while cutting.

That's pretty steep, ID. How much of a drop in weight are you looking to see per week?

How about raw veg? That fills up a lot of space with minimal calories, and supplies a boatload of micros as well.

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I'm already taking a soluble fiber supplement, and taking more makes me feel bloated and heavy. I was going to suggest raw veggies too. Cucumbers, carrots, snap peas, celery, etc. Those fill me up with very few calories.

4. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

I finally went and threw away my fiber supplements.....just cannot tolerate the bloat. I hear ya, man.

5. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

He noted 1000/cal/day deficit, while consuming 2400cal/day.
      This means his maintenance calories needs are 3400/day (to neither gain nor lose weight).

It takes 3500 cal deficit to lose 1 pound.

1000/day x 7 days = 7000 cal/wk

7000/3500 = 2.

-------> He will cut 2lbs /wk.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

There's a product called Super Seed that I highly recommend for anyone looking for extra fiber. I use it when I'm on my no carb meal plan. It tastes good and does not make you feel like you drank a gallon of water.

Fiber will curb appetite. That's one of the oldest tricks I recall learning when I wrestled. The reason is it stays in the stomach longer and it triggers a hormone that is a natural appetite suppressant. Carrots and celery are the easiest to carry around with you as a snack.

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

I am looking for 1-1.25 lbs / week. 2400 was about 300 cal below my maint but my RMR has gone up (but I do not know by how much). This has to do with my thyroid. Prior to TRT I was hypo-thyroid along with hypo-gonadal (both pituitary stimulated) My dr advised against treating they Hypo-thyroid with meds and said many times TRT will stimulate thyroid. That appears to be the case as my body temp used to run about 1 full degree low, and now is almost normal. I go in for bloodwork in about a month....so I will see if my logic is correct. (low body temp is a sign of hypo-thyroid)

So my cals are a guess at best for aprox 500 under maint.

As for veg....yes that works, and I do that as well.....but I was looking for things I could do to help as well. Coming off eating like I was for 4 months, this is a real shock...but for the most part, is a welcome break.

8. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

This^^^^^^^^. You can eat bucket full of broccoli for less than 50cals.

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

No....you missed that part where I said I was on surplus before

If I was at maint....you would be correct but a 1000 cal deficit without some serious pharmaceutics, you are going to lose a ton of muscle. I have been able to lose as much as 1.5lbs per week with minimal, really noted muscle loss. (I am sure there is some....but I could not see it or measure it.

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

That should be ideal for a ~200 pound guy who's already pretty lean.

(I misread your OP as stating you were on a 1K deficit)

^^^^This makes sense if you think about it.