• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Terrible Bench Press Plateau

Discussion in 'For Personal Trainers' started by jailynn24hb, Sep 19, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Terrible Bench Press Plateau

Usually i would do 3 sets of 8 reps at 70kgs once a week. And i've never been able to go higher than that. I'm currently 29

- - - Updated - - -

The bar comes about fist distance from my chest and i push to lock out. I wouldn't say my arms were freakishly long(!) but i haven't ever measured their length

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

3. diksdiks

diksdiks Guest

100% agree with that .

One thing sticks out us the op has been training 5 years and still has a crap bench something is wrong even if natty .

4. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

5. 88brah

88brah Well-Known Member

; ;
      First time I've heard of this "barrel chest"... looked it up and actual sounds like what I have! my rib cage is bloody huge... anyhow personal experience now (story time)

finally got 1 rep of 100kg lalala Tore my rotator cuff few months later playing rugby lalala , couldn't train for months after.

when I returned, struggled with sets of 70kg.
      Done a lot of heavy tricep pull down (machine thingy)- helped with the bench but still struggled with 75kg for about 2 weeks after.

Started doing 5x5 programme, and working on negative reps, got a spot to help me- I'd lower the bar as slowly as possible, they would help lift the bar back up.

after a month managed to get 1 rep of 105kg new pb. Continued with 5x5, but then would do 3 sets of a weigh 10kg lighter for 8 reps... managed to increase my 1 rep to 120kg after a month! but 5 rep max was 105 drains the hell out of ya!

give it a go, but do some reading on technique first- that did help me quite a bit.

stay safe, bench is an ego exercise that can and WILL get the better of you.