• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Women's thoughts on 'mens' sports?

Discussion in 'Female Bodybuilding' started by Korporalegq, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

So I just told my dad I was thinking of picking up MMA...and he burst out laughing. I also used to be really interested in sports such as Rugby, Shooting etc. but never got the opportunity to pick them up, as there don't seem to be a lot of groups or clubs for females around here, especially under 16.
      This is BB.com, so I know a lot of you here lift, which is great. I always feel very self conscious lifting in a gym which is why I often do it at home. Everyone often looks like I'm a crazy person when I approach the weights. I barely know any lifters as it is, let alone females my age. It was effort enough alone to persuade my parents to let me get my weights and supps. :/
      Anyway, my point is, what's your view? Do you think there should be more opportunities for females to play contact/combat sports, are there ever any hobbies/sports you've ever wanted to pick up but haven't had the chance to/not been able to? Discuss

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Women's thoughts on 'mens' sports?

I grew up playing contact sports with all the boys because my sister and I were the only girls in the neighborhood. Football, baseball... and getting our asses kicked daily by our much bigger brother. We rode dirt bikes and things boys did. Now I love lifting weights, shooting guns, fishing and stuff but nothing along the lines of team sports. Unfortunately even church leagues have faded out around here so we don't even have that for us to play baseball anymore.

My mom had us in gymnastics when we were young and it was fun but sucked because the boys had dixie youth league for baseball but nothing was open to any of the girls.

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

This. As a kid I was such a tomboy, I was all for rough and tumble playfighting, bikeriding, that kinda thing. I can't do that anymore, but I enjoy lifting so much. I have a very boyish personality in that sense in a way. We have a whole load of sports/rugby/football fields, pools, gyms, cycle tracks/bridleways etc, but there just doesn't seem to be anything for my age range or for females, the nearest combat club is about 40 minutes away too.
      I also have no friends who go to the gym regularly enough to be gym buddies with, it's mostly middle aged people who go there, or girls from our school who only go once a week to pick up guys. :/ I think it's be a lot more motivating for me if I had someone who was really dedicated, you know?

4. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Yes- women should be able to participate in whatever sport they wish to participate in. There are women's leagues for most everything here.

Most of the best girl's fastpitch softball players around here started with baseball as it is a co-sport until ~10 YO. I coached our oldest girl's fastpich SB team for many years. She then went on to be a cheerleader. The strongest on the squad!

I treat my girls the same as our boy. If you want to fish and hunt, ride 4-wheelers, Mtn Bike, just say the word.

5. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

LOL at picking up guys. What a waste of a gym membership Sometimes you have to go at it alone. I had my sister and some friends who I worked out with but they gave it up a long time ago. Don't be intimidated to go in and hit the weights or any other hobbies by yourself. To me it shows how confident you are that you don't go in as a group of giggly girls looking for a hook up and you are actually there to lift weights. I actually enjoy my quiet time when I go.

6. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

You have no idea the type of opportunities you would have in combat sports. Just to clarify for you, MMA is kinda the practice of a few disciplines, each take a long time to master. (BJJ, Wrestling, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muy-Thai etc...) If you can be disciplined, and your mature enough to get over any awkwardness, then the world of combat sports is a place with HUGE opportunities for females who get involved.

Ive done Brazillian Jiu Jitsu for 4 years now, 2 of which Ive been teaching basic classes. The number of girls in BJJ is soooo incredibly limited. If you get halfway decent and start winning any tournaments you can get sponsors extremely easily, and in my experience the people that practice combat sports have generally been some of the coolest, most interesting people Ive ever met.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Williams

This is the girl that taught me (later teh gym she trained at) and once she was getting sponsored, she was getting money to travel around the US, Brazil and Europe not only to compete but to train. In an average BJJ tounrey there might be 25 guys in my weight class that i have to compete with for #1. In almost all levels of competition for females you might only have 3 or 4 competitors, meaning much greater chance of success.

If you lived anywhere near me I would offer my college club to give you an idea of what you would be expecting, though most MMA places will let you try classes out before commiting.

7. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

grew up with brothers so I played whatever they played..outside in the neighborhood.
      tackle football, kickball, killer dodgeball, pickle, baseball..all foul basketball
      it was rough but a lot of fun too
      back in da day...girls could do softball (which I played) or ...soccer which I also played..
      things have changed since then.

8. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Very much would like to do some contact sports/fighting but it is difficult in some areas to find a place that is reasonable (for price and commute)and most are too lazy to join up with you!

You may have to just find the motivation in yourself to keep training... do the research to find a place... and swallow the awkwardness to make friends at the gym/training area where you are rather than trying to change your friends

9. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I think women should play whatever they want...if you wanna go for the NFL and play with 400lb linemen more power to you
      but at the same time its akward as **** sometimes...spotting a chick squatting...thats like 1 step away from a harassment suit

10. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

I am all for playing/participating in what you want

I played rugby for a season it was fun but it was unorganized and too far of a drive to keep playing.

I will admit though I don't watch women's sports they bored me