• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Whats the point of cardio?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Korporalegq, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

When on a cut you eat below maintenance in order to lose fat so i don't see why anyone would do cardio? Is it just if you want to eat more each day you can do cardio to burn off the excess calories you eat, don't see the point in that myself because it's just a lot of extra time/work you have to put in.

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Whats the point of cardio?

sure it's extra work but cardio builds endurance and a healthy heart. You don't need cardio to lose weight but it's good for you so why not do it anyways?

3. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Some of us would like to not just have muscle, but also endurance and stamina. Cardio strengthens your cardiovascular and pulmonary systems, and is just all-round healthy.

Other than that, the secondary benefit is that you can eat more -- for some of us at really low intake/day (1300-1400), it is hard to get the right amount of protein in without burning off some excess calories, and cardio helps address any overages.

Personally, I love my cardio sessions at least as much as - if not more - than my weight sessions. I always follow up my lifting sessions with a quick cardio, when my heart rate is really high. And I can get a good workout going and feel a lot more exhausted with the cardio than without.

4. zimisile

zimisile Well-Known Member

+1!

I don't see why some people are always so put off by cardio.

5. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

call me crazy, but I personally put some value into making my heart healthy.

I also enjoy running, so I do it for fun too.

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I can see why you would do cardio to keep your heart healthy was just wondering if theres any benefit to cardio in relation to weight loss when you can just eat below maintenance. I smoke so can't really do a lot of cardio.

7. latin

latin Well-Known Member

You can and will be successful either way. Cardio will make you more healthy and could provide a bigger caloric deficit.

8. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

I like cardio to better prepare myself for sports...I feel good going in to hockey season in mid season form being able to fly around the ice because my lungs are good to go.
      Worst thing is sucking dirty pond water on the bench for the first few games of the year!

9. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

So, not only are you being unhealthy by smoking, you also do not want to alleviate or mitigate your condition by doing cardio? A lot of smokers (and I used to be one) use cardio as a springboard to quit the habit. Exercise is a great substitute.

And imagine that you're on a diet, and you add cardio on top -- you can lose a lot more with cardio than without the cardio.

10. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Different strokes, you know? This year, I cut 22 pounds between the beginning of March and the end of May and I haven't done ANY cardio since last year. I think I'm doing okay.

[​IMG]

Tags: