• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • What rate of weight/fat loss is healthy?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by MarkB, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MarkB

MarkB Administrator Staff Member

I am approaching middle age and the spread is starting to emerge! What is a healthy rate of weight/fat loss?

2. Newstarter

Newstarter Well-Known Member

3. Toneup

Toneup Well-Known Member

4. MarkB

Interesting stuff - I have come across a lot of info as I research posts for the forum and the consensus seems to be that the longer it takes to lose excess weight, the more chance of keeping it off.

5. abbasrizvi918

abbasrizvi918 Member

AS far as bodybuilding is considered, loosing more than 2lb per week can result in loss of muscles along with the fat.
      With proper high protein diet and supplements such as the glutamine, you can loose 2 lb pure fat ( not 100% pure but some of it ) per week.
      Loosing two lb means creating a 1000kcals deficit per day. That's not much difficult.
      however for middle age I would say 1lb per week is ok. Keep it slow and live the journey.

6. Toneup

Toneup Well-Known Member

When you say a "1000kcals deficit" do you mean basically you are working off 1000kcals a day more than you are putting into your body?

7. MarkB

There is more to it than just burning more calories than you take in - it all has to be done in a controlled manner for long term success.

8. FT Mike

FT Mike Active Member

When it comes to weight and fat loss, it's important to prioritize overall health and focus on sustainable changes rather than rapid results. The rate of weight or fat loss can vary depending on various factors, including individual metabolism, body composition, and overall health. However, a general guideline for healthy and sustainable weight loss is to aim for a gradual rate of 1-2 pounds (0.5-1 kg) per week.