• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Water retention, what's causing it?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by emininojiq, Jul 27, 2012.

1. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Alright, sometimes I look like I gained 10-15 lbs overnight (imagine, at my height how significant), and I find it really embarrassing to go outside as I'm worried I'll run into someone I know and they'll think I let go of myself. It looks really bad, I lose my definition and I just look fat. It is always paired with extreme, extreme thirst, and I drink a few gallons of water then and go to the bathroom a lot.

Is it very hot weather, stimulants which cause me to overexert myself or deprive me of electrolytes, or is it from working out everyday when I'm not used to anymore? I.e. it doesn't happen often but it all happened this week, and I am exhausted from stimulants (I'm taking a break since wednesday, but the bloating has started monday), the weather temperature went up a lot since monday and it's really hot (30 celsius) when the rest of the summer has been cool (20ish celcius), I have started working out everyday since saturday (running mostly though), but I haven't on wednesday and today cos I'm too tired, Thursday I went biking I had a cup of coffee to give me some energy. Before saturday I hadn't worked out regularly at all for a while.

It's really annoying, as yesterday I was trying to get rid of the water weight for 2 hours before I let myself go outside... So I'd really like to know the cause and a possible solution, any input from anyone here would be greatly appreciated and repped. I have insane bags under my eyes as well but I'm guessing that's from stimulant withdrawal. I was taking 2-3 cups of coffee (instant from a packet, so dosed for 1 cup), along with 2ish milligrams of ephedrine a day (yup, it's not much at all right, a tablet of 8 mgs lasts me almost a week).

2. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Water retention, what's causing it?

Last edited by justanothagirl; Today at 12:33 PM.

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

sodium fluctuations can cause massive water retention (keep sodium constant - at whatever level you desire, and this won't be an issue)

water intake fluctuation can cause this as well

these are the two that most commonly affect me

4. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

I think this might be your problem, or at least part of it. The less you drink the more water you retain. Drink more and your body starts expecting more water so it does a better job of flushing our your system. I shoot for half my body weight in ounces which turns out to be at least 120 ounces. I piss like a race horse but I sure don't retain any water.

Basically drink a ton of water and say goodbye to water retention.

5. yuklog291

yuklog291 Well-Known Member

I've gained 5-6 lbs of water weight and honestly, I looked exactly the same as I did without the water weight the day before. I just felt a bit bloated.

Moral of the story - you might be too hard on yourself. You might think you look awful, but I bet no one can even tell the difference physically.

By the way, you don't lose water weight from not drinking! You lose water weight when your carbs are at a reasonable level (this doesn't mean 0 carbs), and you're well hydrated and working out. What does your diet look like?

6. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Well I meant during those 2 hours I didn't drink. Before that I had probably drank about 10 liters already that day, at least. Cos I was so thirsty it was crazy.

And I agree about the sodium, however I don't think I changed my diet. I know you lose a lot of sodium in hot weather though.

7. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

My diet hasn't caused me to hold water before monday and it hasn't changed so I don't think that's the problem. Only the things mentioned in my first post have. Thanks for the input everyone, all repped btw.

I think it might be the working out/stimulant exhaustion in combination with the hot weather perhaps? I've been hearing ambulances so much this week, I'm guessing a lot of heat strokes.

8. Brenner

Brenner Well-Known Member

You notice water weight, no one else will.

When I start holding onto water, I make a smoothy with matcha green tea and vitamin C. Within a couple of hours the bloating is gone and I'm back to normal (also results in pissing like a racehorse).

9. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Thank you, repped. I'll try the vitamin C. But trust me, it's noticeable haha. People always notice when I gain/lose weight even if it's only water weight (I know cos I get comments, i.e. "What happened?.... You weren't this fat before!!" (old roommate) or "Wow, big face!" best friend), on my frame it's very significant.

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Last edited by justanothagirl; Today at 12:59 PM.