• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Subway, cons/pros?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by alomjabpd, Aug 1, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I'm in love with subway, and # wise, I get around 60g of protein for 700cal for what I get, that's including the mass vegies too.

However, I remember some guy explaining that subway is bad for you, just wondering if it's true.

Is there any cons to eating something from subway? Will anything cause you to retain water weight, or something else?

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

Glad this has been made as a thread as my eating and healthy diet has become insanely good lately, but the otherday I didn't have lunch at work so grabbed a quick Subway, it's got to better for you than a Mcdonalds right?

3. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

No food is 'unhealthy' for you.

The only real downfall I see for subway is you're not getting exact calories because of the variance of what you get on it and the price.

If it fits in your calorie and macros for the day, then you're good to go.

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

What's wrong with retaining water weight? Unless you're trying to fit into that little black dress, I don't understand why it's a bad thing.

Yes, processed meats are high in sodium, but if your diet is otherwise low in sodium, what does it matter? If you don't have hypertension, why would even excessive sodium be an issue?

Subway, or any food, is only "bad for you" in terms of fat loss if it causes you to eat at a caloric excess, by way of making it difficult to meet macro goals while staying within a caloric limit.

In terms of overall health, which is a different issue from fat loss, there may be other considerations. If you believe Subway uses inferior ingredients and would rather eat free range chicken for example, then it may be a poor choice for that particular goal. Or if you have a gluten sensitivity, Subway is probably a poor choice for that too. Maybe you believe their cucumbers have pesticides, or their crappy peppers are low in vitamin C, etc, etc.

You need to make your own choices respecting those issues, but try to separate those considerations from body composition, which is determined by calories and macros.

5. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

I would hope so. Haha. The guy who told me it's crap, is a friend who always cooks raw foods, etc. There's just much better foods I'd rather have than subway if it's not nearly as good as it's suppose to be. But the high protein intake and the vitamins from vegies, I just don't see how it can be bad? Maybe because of the carbs? But then again those would be considered good carbs I thought, and then maybe the processed meat? haha.

6. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

Ah ok good to know. Also to the water weight, I just want to be able to weight myself every few days and measure to see results, that way I can see I'm on the right track. Gets confusing if I'm carrying 2lbs of water weight.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

One the best fast food choices you can make when It's the cleaner options (grilled chicken, ham, turkey, extra veggies, light on sauces/dressings etc) but very high in sodium if that is something that concerns you. Yeah not gonna beat home cooked with light ingredients but that's because It's still fast food. During summer I eat subway probably 3 x a week when on the road at work...always double meat and extra veggies with wheat bread though unless It's breakfast. That sunrise melt with double meat on flatbread and jalepenos/onion/peppers is sooooooo good.

8. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Subway, cons/pros?

I'll have to see if I can find out how much sodium. I'm trying to keep my sodium at the suggested level per day. Ty

9. masoven4u

Subway, cons/pros?

Most of the meats are processed garbage, not sure about their bread if its made everyday maybe they don't and wacky chemicals to it....I'd be suspicious of their cheese. I'd avoid their sauces, no doubt loaded with un-natural chemicals, high fructose corn-syrup, same with the soda crap. And soon enough I'm sure they be selling more and more GMO bio-weapon veggies.

So for now I'd only trust a whole wheat sub with just veggies, because no doubt their olive oil is cut with GMO canola or GMO cotton oil

A few years ago I used love a cold cut classic with all the veggies they had and a mountain of olives and pickles, and mustard and mayo.....I'm trying to go natural and organic, pesticide free and NO GMOs

10. masoven4u

Subway, cons/pros?

Subway is the only fastfood I have eaten in years. I eat a subway sannich about twice a month. I love it. I have never had a problem meeting my macro's. I have never felt it set me back in anyway. Actually to be perfectly honest, when I started this weight loss trip about 8 months ago now I was one of the people who would've said, "don't eat that crap!" Now I am completely unworried by it.

I still don't eat it often but when I got that hankerin' for a turkey and ham footlong, loaded with veggies and light mayo, I go get it and enjoy every last bite. And not a single difference has been made in my goals, calorie deficit, or tracking.

I would also note that I was eating at 1800 calories until just the other day when after two weeks of solid lifting I realized I needed more food. I now eat at 2100 but may even increase that. I will see how the weight is effected over the next couple of weeks. Just wanted to give a shout out to a peanut butter called, "Nutella." I just got it the other day and if you haven't tried it and want a treat that can fit into your macros check it out. It kinda tastes like reeses peanut butter chocolate. I know it is off topic but it is very good stuff.