• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Substitution for Barbell Split Lunge.

Discussion in 'Training' started by masoven4u, Apr 10, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

My gym has two rooms, one consisting of an area for olympic type lifts (squat racks, bench press, and clean/dead lift platforms) and an area with lifting machines and dumbbells. i super set my Barbell split lunge w/ my DB bench and am tired of bring dumbbells to the other room and then having to go back to the other room finish my workout. So i guess my question is what is the best substitution for the barbell split lunge. i thought about maybe trying a somewhat of a goblet split lunge type lift, or just holding twin Dumbbells in the catch position of a clean while i do my lunges. any suggestion??

2. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Substitution for Barbell Split Lunge.

Why not dumbbell split squats or dumbbell lunges?

If the weight becomes trying for your grip, then you can get straps as well.

[​IMG]

3. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Sorry,

you're confusing the usage of the term "super-set".

You cannot super-set A compound chest exercise with a compound quad/glute movement.
      Super-sets are same muscle group Ex: DB Bench Press Super-set---> DB Flies

Why dont you just use the DB's you use on Bench and turn it into a dumb bell lunge? You stay in one spot and still still preform a lunge.

4. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Yes you can...

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

Supersets are opposing or different muscle groups.
      Compound set is same muscle groups.

The terms come from the Weider Methods of Training.

These ones in particular are from the WEIDER PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU ARRANGE YOUR WORKOUT.

1. Set System Training Principle (Performing one set per bodypart was the old way; the Set System calls for multiple sets for each exercise in order to apply maximum adaptive stress)

2. Superset Training Principle (alternating opposing muscle group exercises with little rest between sets)

3. Compound Sets Training Principle (alternating two exercises for one bodypart with little rest between sets)

4. Tri-Sets Training Principle (Doing 3 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

5. Giant Sets Training Principle (Doing 4-6 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

6. Staggered Sets Principle (injecting 10 sets of boring forearm, abdominal or calf work in between sets for (say) chest or legs)

7. Rest-Pause Principle (using 85-90 percent of your max, do 2-3 reps and put the weight down. Then do 2-3 more, rest, 2-3 more and rest for a total of 3-4 rest-pauses. The short rest-pauses allow enough time for ATP to be resynthesized and permit further reps with the heavy weight);

8. Muscle Priority Principle (Work your weaker body parts first in any given workout; alternatively, work the larger muscle groups first, while you?re fresh and energy levels still high)

9. Pre-Exhaustion Principle (example: superset flies, a chest isolation exercise, with bench presses, a compound exercise involving triceps and chest, in order to maximize chest development by pre-exhausting the triceps)

10. Pyramiding Training Principle (start a bodypart session with higher rep/low weight and gradually add weight (and commensurably reduce the reps), ending with a weight you can do for 5 reps or so)

11. Descending Sets Principle (lighter weights from set to set as fatigue sets in --0 called "stripping")

12. Staggered Sets Training Principle (stagger smaller, slow-developing body parts in between sets for larger muscle groups)

13. Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

6. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

No , thats circuit training.

With circuit training the rest you get , should be attained from moving from exercise to exercise and because you're hitting different muscles you can make it into a circuit.

Its Called SUPER Set because youre using the same muscle groups, extrapolating the stress of that muscle in a different manner, Hence SUPER.

7. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Read above. Since Weider is the one who popularized all the terms, I'll stick with his definitions. Sorry if this offends you.

+ You saying that it has to be a compound and then transitioning into an isolation and can not be two compound exercises combined is laughable as well.

8. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

http://fitness.wikia.com/wiki/Superset

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Sorry wont read, it was wall of text.

You mis-read.

I did not say it has to be a compound into isolation.
      I said it has to be the same muscle groups, learn to read or attain stronger comprehension skills.

What I typed was: Those movements that he choose were simply compound movements.

Just because a term is made popular by X-Person, doesn't mean the transitioning from unknown to known still maintained its proper significance.

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Its IDEAL B/C you shouldnt be taxing the Muscle directly in the same movement , this type of strain on the muscles may lead to muscle catabolism.

But The same muscles should be used.

Example: Super-setting Bench Press and Dips. Same muscles but the primary and synergistic muscles can be interchanged.

ANYONE Who is educated knowns not to use a wiki as a proper source of information.

LOL @ Chazzy, instead of having a proper conversation you finally spread enough rep to re-neg me.

Come back at me with words and education and then I will be mad or humbled by your knowledge.
      Your constant pissing matches are so childish.