• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Students .. How do you survive?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vijugati8g, Jul 5, 2012.

1. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Hi guys, just been trying to sort out funding for my access course to then go into Uni but there is practically F all help with further education, just higher education (Uni)

After working 7 years straight and losing my job through injury I want to chase my dreams now and learn then practice what I want to do for my life.

How do you students do it? Especially people at college? Those who live out of home like myself. Surely body building is virtually impossible?

In my instance no grants are available what so ever for this year before I go to uni.

Cheers

2. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Students .. How do you survive?

i got my access course payed for because i was on job seekers allowance if that helps, i'm 21 (22 on the 12 of july) and used all my college funding up to become an electrician but gave that up after five years and now heading to uni in sept to study nutrition.

3. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Don't have an answer at all for you mate.
      When I went to university there were grants available for virtually everybody which covered the tuition fees as well as leaving you with money for living.
      I can understand that it may no longer be possible to fund everybody, however deplorable this may be, but I disagree with the system adopted. I'm not sure which country it's in, but basically the government will front up the costs of university and then once you start working they will then take out a small percentage of your wages until you pay it back, without interest. Sounds pretty fair actually, because going to university should be an investment in your future. Thus even less well-off kids can go to university if they really want to, whilst the less motivated ones won't bother.

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Do they still have EMA?

You need to have a part time job during further education, really helped me

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, it'll feel like living on the bread line most of the time whilst at uni.
      I just finished three years and can't wait to start earning something!

The first week of student loans you feel like Richard Branson then it turns to feeling like a tramp.

My parents helped me out a bit though and paid for my accommodation whilst I was at uni which took a huge load off but it was still tight.

If I didn't play rugby or have a gf that I saw most weekends then I'd have got a part-time job.

I don't know about FE but most HE places offer grants, bursaries and emergency non-repayable loans to those in tougher financial circumstances.

6. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Have you looked into foundation courses at uni - you could apply for grant then. Yeah its hard, I get alot of help from my parents... without them I wouldnt be at uni its quite simple. Some people have part time jobs, I tried that in first year but to earn anywhere near the ammount I need to eat, id have to pull 15-20 hours a week, and when you are in a degree with the ammount of work I have to do, sometimes that just isnt an option. I feel kinda like a sponge on my parents, but they assure me they dont mind as its only 3-4 years and it will set up the entire rest of my lifes. I will do this for my kids if they want to go to uni aswell. When Im not at uni im always working though, unlike the rest of my siblings who are at uni/ went to uni... they just sponge as much as possible and have a fking awful work ethic, never grafted a day in their life.

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Student loan and a pretty crappy part time(weekend) job, you just gotta shop wise, i survived on asda smartprice chicken, oats, pasta/rice n the likes and bulk buying protein(pro10). Its tough and it eats up your loan paying for food and rent/bills and you dont get much of social life because of it. There isn't much elegance in being a student and bodybuilding

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Hi Chelios,

there is the access to learning fund http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_171615
      if your unemployed then the job centre can help pay for the course.

As adult uni fees are means tested and if you earn under 20 od grand a year they will be free.

What are you looking to study.

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

I worked 2-3 jobs at a time at uni.

still smashed the grades.

bunch of slackers in here

did bar work 3-4 nights, temp work at a racecourse, 2 days a week in a mailboxes etc, also remailed gh for a big supplier.

i lived like a king lol, £625 1 bed apartment by myself in a swish block near all the night clubs haha

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Get a job you bum.