• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Slow carb diet

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by fourmatic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Has anyone done this before?

I tried the one Tim Ferris talks about in his book "The 4 hour body" great read btw.

I did this diet for 3 or 4 months last spring and ended up switching back to the simple calorie deficit diet instead. Have you guys tried this before? Did you like it? I'm thinking I might try it again to kick start my way to spring, but I'm not sure yet. If you're not familiar you pretty much eat no carbs except for "slow carb" foods which if you google "slow carb foods" it will give you a list. You basically only eat whats on that list.

2. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

I have never tried it but I don't think I would be willing to.
      I feel like after this"diet" is over I would just start eating carbs little by little until I am back to my same old portion. Usually when I am restricted something I start to want it even more..

3. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

The reason it is supposedly good for heart health when consumed in moderation is the unique antioxidants I mentioned earlier. Resveratrol is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties and heart disease is caused by inflammation at an arterial level.

4. musclemad

Whoops. wrong thread.

I am on a low-carb diet but I don't agree with the concept of 'slow-carbs' because all carbs are reduced to sugar in the body. I just make sure I eat my starches around the workout window, to replenish glycogen and minimize fat gain.

5. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Well its supposed to put your body into a state of ketosis which is supposed to, in a nutshell, almost trick your body into burning more fat. I'm not 100% convinced because I feel while on a diet I tend to eat less which means I'm actually on a calorie deficit disguised as a slow carb diet.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

6. musclemad

You will not be in ketosis if you are eating carbohydrates. Ketosis is a fat-burning state and you will not be burning fat after consuming carbohydrates as you will be burning sugar instead.

Through the week I'm usually very low-carb, less than 50g per day, sometimes zero-carbs. At the weekend I may have a few hundred grams of natural starch like potatoes.

7. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Well-Known Member

Many people have tried Tim Ferriss’ slow carb diet from “The 4-Hour Body”. It’s a way to kickstart your journey to spring. Just make sure to consult with professional healthcare before making any big changes.