• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Shoulders: are lateral raises important?

Discussion in 'Training' started by herunder88, May 4, 2012.

1. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

I've always felt awkward doing lateral raises -- I feel as if my shoulders are kind of popping out (I keep my shoulder blades back, try not to raise my shoulders too much while doing the movement to minimize trap involvement... maybe this is the wrong way?).

I mean, on shoulder day, I do 3-6 sets of military press or dumbell press, sometimes I do upright barbell rows, and I also do front and rear delts. So I'm thinking that during my military press/rows or even front delt raises, I'll have done enough work for the lateral delts.

Is this a stupid idea? Suggestions?

2. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Shoulders: are lateral raises important?

Last edited by autoanorak; Today at 05:34 PM.

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Side raises are the GOAT shoulder movement, so I say yes

4. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

How is the lateral deltoid tiny compared to the front and rear delt? It's bigger than both.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidLateral.html

5. littlemudda

littlemudda Well-Known Member

Best shoulder exercises are the presses

You can do lateral raises all day long but you still wont gain size like doing the presses

6. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

You need to do a well rounded shoulder workout. Presses hit the front delts the most. And if all you do is press, you're going to end up with an imbalanced shoulder FAST.

7. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

in my opinion they are VERY necessary because they isolate that medial head which the bigger it is the more it looks like your shoulders are popping out and makes you look wider as well. look at phil heath, he looks extremely wide because he has huge shoulders and especially side delts, but he's a really narrow guy. so definitely do those in there. i'm not sure why you pinch your shoulder blades back, i've never heard of this procedure during a side raise. just be sure to keep your elbows higher than your hands and dont go higher than your shoulders because i believe that brings in too much traps. use 10-15 lbs to first get the movement down right and then worry about going up in weight.

8. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

oh LOL I looked up the wrong muscle on the directory... i was looking at fronts and thought they were lateral delts

so I guess that point's now null and void...

anyway, suggestions on form anyone? i heard that it's better to go a little lighter and get a full contraction at the top of the rep

@Miami:
      mostly just from the internet, from friends, from watching other people. i don't so much pinch my shoulder blades... it's just that i try to keep them back as opposed to having them jutting out

9. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Lateral raises are a must for a balanced aesthetic look. Presses do have their place but wide shoulders come from isolating the lateral head.

OP use a weight you can handle. Make sure you can control the full movement up (with no back involvement) to parallel (keeps tension on the lateral head and (transfers it to working your traps more so otherwise) control the motion back down.

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I heard if you do barbell overhead press, it mostly works on the front head. If you do dumbell overhead press it works more on the medial head. I think side raises are a great excersise to use; i don't think that front raises are necessary.