• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Related to self image- body scars

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by vijugati8g, Feb 23, 2012.

1. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=142550221

I was reading this thread and thought about my situation regarding my body self-image.
      Rather than adding to this thread I thought of creating one, more specific to my situation- body scar

I have an, IMO , a bad scar from an operation after high school....I believe it was a botched operation interms of how it healed too late to cry over it...for several years though I was self conscious about it... you can see it in my profile....to me its glaring (my words)

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ph...photo/10782181

It took me several years to realize it was no big deal...

On BB.com i have yet to see any profile of guys or gals who have scars from major surgery or accident etc...mine is on the right side of my abdomen as a result of a hematoma...not serious.

fortunately it has not effected my ability to lift at all....in fact i am surprse that I have begun to show a six pack....
      Of course after I overcame the feeling of being scared, I dont think twice about removing my shirt in public and infact after i started seriously working out the results overall have impressed me, in spite.

Are there any competitor who have visible scars? or have they taken care of it through plastic surgery?

I was thinking about plastic surgery but it would be elective and unless i show psychological effects i.e. phobia its not covered. After all these years i think its too late.

I also was thinking of tatooing something to hide it....lol.... an image like Alien maybe coming out of it? but than that would draw attention to it. :p

Just a thought, but if you have a scar how have you dealt with it?

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Related to self image- body scars

I was involved in a fight when I was 19 were a was trying to help a friend who was being attacked..and ultimately killed. I was stabbed in my chest, 4 inches in. The er DR. did a terrible job with it and I developed a hematoma. Long story short I have an awful scar that I have had to look at everyday since that night.

I have often thought about covering it up with a tattoo and maybe this year I'll do it. Now that I'm not such a fat slob it will actually look ok.

For me the scar doesn't bother me as much as what it represents.

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Last edited by Jtbny; Yesterday at 06:54 PM.

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

meh. it adds character. i have a scar from my rib cage to groin....all keloided up. never bothered me much from a self image view. i do though have a 9 pack as the abs on my right were cut to shreds. so i guess that's a good thing, haha.

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Yep, same here. A massive shoulder surgery scar.

I don't even think about it any more.

I was extremely self conscious about it, when i was in my 20's.
      I like to wear sleeveless tee's.

Then I met a guy my age who feel off off a roof, into a tar kettle face first.

I coached a (young) girl (for 5 or 6 years) who had a skin condition, which in effect created, what we would call a mole, across the whole surface of her back.
      Each summer, she would go to a hospital, where they would literally razor blade a layer of skin from her back.
      With each successive year, the size of the birth defect got smaller.

My little scar, really doesn't matter much.

BUT (for you guys) if your scar can be corrected, by all means consult a plastic surgeon. They can do some great things.

6. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

A scar competition, cool finally something I can win!

Inside left elbow a big horse shoe sized scar from going thu a plate glass window when I was 17.
      Huge scar running straight down my stomach from surgery to remove a ruptured spleen when I was 19
      7" scar on underside of my right arm from a work accident when I was 27, needed a skin graft as a result and they took the donor tissue from my right hip so I have a nice sized scar there too, about 3"x5"
      Finally heart surgery at the age of 47 resulted in a 6-7" scar down my sternum, it almost meets the previous scar down my stomach so it looks like I was cut pretty much from top of my chest down to and thru my belly button.

Used to be self concious about them, now I don't pay any attention to them at all and don't care what anyone says or if they stare.

7. baletki

You win!

8. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

IN...I was thrown over a fence by a neighbours kid when I was 6,and destroyed my right elbow.I have an 8" surgical scar on the top and a severely deformed elbow with limited movement.At 14 I was hit dead on in the face by a surf ski,which left some small scars on the bridge of my nose,at 19 I came off a motorbike into a culvert and ripped a 6" x 4" hole off the top of my foot,and had a skin graft with skin removed from the front of my right thigh,with a 8" x 8" scar.Took the top of my knuckle off my right ring finger with a 10" drop saw,picked the knuckle off the floor and they managed to sew it back on...a bit deformed but it still works!3" scar from spinal surgery L5S1,have the standard labourers scars on my hands,about a 4 incher on my right shin from a horse kick,few other minor facial ones from the odd fight in my younger days (I can see them),oh and the 4" one above my right knee from the bike accident.......I think that's about it.

9. baletki

Oooookay! I feel better. My son when he was 4-5 use to call my scar my second belly button. I am impressed by the fact that those who have multiple scars from major incidents can workout and have great results.

Thank you for sharing!

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

You've just got to make due with the cards that life dealt you. I don't like the new scar on my chest (a port for chemo) but in the grand scheme of things it's not important at all.