• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Protein shake substitute?

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by Far_Mur_Jo, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Member

So, I've been going hippy mode recently, trying to cut down on all processed foods, and chemicals in general in my diet and cosmetics and protein shakes are pretty artificial as far as supplements go. I have been reading up on health and natural foods in general and it got me thinking, are nut milks(lol) a good substitute to protein shakes? Specifically hemp seed milk. The have a good deal of omega fats and overall goodies, but are they a good source of protein and are they comparable to a shake?

2. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

You are right, producing whey protein requires heavy processing and natural sources of protein are a much better option. Whey protein is good for convenience and it is cheap but it shouldn't be a big proportion of your protein intake.

Avoid hemp seed milk, the omega-3 in plant matter is not converted by the body very well. Do you not eat eggs, meat and fish?

3. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Member

I do, of course. Veganism is silly. I was considering it, for quick protein, like people eat bars and shakes. It's simply delicious, try it if you get a chance, you won't regret it.

4. musclemad

The protein in plant matter is not complete and it is often hostile to the gut lining. For example, there is around 5g of protein in a slice of brown bread but that protein is gluten, an inflammatory protein which will cause more harm than benefit.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Member

Noted. I've heard of that, but I completely blanked out on the fact when I was considering hemp seed milk. Thanks for the headsup.

6. musclemad

Are you lactose intolerant? You could try goat's milk as it has much less lactose. You could also try coconut milk, delicious and very good for you. Cow's milk is a better option if you are not lactose intolerant, especially if you can afford organic.