• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Protein and great big gorillas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by masoven4u, Jul 4, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

I just uploaded a new vid discussing meal timing and protein needs and one of my subscribers made a very good point, how come great big black gorillas have like 40 stone of pure solid muscle and live off of grass and mixed fruit? Their protein must be around 10-20g per day max. Does anybody have any facts on this?

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Protein and great big gorillas

have you actually asked them?

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

same for cows isn't it.

grass etc is high in protein, just not a type that we can utilise.

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Nicked from another site but seems feasible .....

Humans are able to grow strong without meat, but we need the right protein supplements in other foods, because evolutionary speaking we have depended on meat for protein a lot more than gorillas: Gorillas have just adapted to make use of proteins within plants a lot better.

Next to this gorillas are herbivores, which means they can synthesize most amino acids themselves. Humans are in need of essential amino acids, amino acids we cannot synthesize our selves and we get those (mostly) from meat (or specific plants that also carry them in case I'm offending the veggies :p ). Without an intake of essential amino acids, we die.

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

i spoke to a G the other day he convinced me grass kicks a$$ so i sacked my muscletech off and im now on the grass and bananas and already i can see more solid tissue and i feel real full and hard

Speak.to.Kong.com

6. Artguy

Artguy Well-Known Member

What gorillas eat is completely irrelevant to us, because we are not gorillas. Or cows - who also build loads of beef on a very low protein diet.

Animals adapted to a low protein diet have metabolisms that are extremely frugal with protein. They don't oxidise protein for energy in the same way that we do.

Humans made a majore evolutionary change around 5 million years ago when we switched from a fruit based diet to a meat based. That meant that we needed to ramp up the metabolic pathways that turn protein into energy. This has massively increased our protein needs.

Comparing us to other species - even closely related ones like Gorillas, is completely pointless.

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Yeah good point. Must be pure genetics. Its a bit like seeing a fat vegetarian IMO.

8. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

So when we made that switch 5 million years ago from fruit to Meats... Wouldn't humans have packed on more muscle then compared to now?

9. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

My son who is into strongman, knew this national level bodybuilder. When he asked him what he ate during the off season and when bulking the bodybuilder replied that he valued carbs far higher than protein, ie in the 600g per day figure with protein being less than half that amount if that.

The protein train has been fuelled, in part by the weider magazines since the 70's in an attempt to sell supplements. Its BIG money now lol.

10. tymherwyf6z

tymherwyf6z Well-Known Member

my sisters uni roommate was a morbidly obese vegetarian which i could never figure out until i saw her make nachos with a bag of doritos and about 500g of cheese as a snack LOL