• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Is not doing SS really that bad man?

Discussion in 'Training' started by masoven4u, Jul 30, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

I read a sticky and found a routine that interested me. It is the lightest of the 3 versions that were given and is a split routine. The heavier versions simply add more volume and I believe turn into upper/lower routines. The one below is the routine that I have chosen.

Back/Bis

Deadlifts 4x5
      A Row 3x8
      Chins or Pulldowns 3x8
      Bicep Curl 2x10

Chest/Tris

Bench 4x5
      DB or Inc Bench 3x8
      Chest Dips 3x8
      Triceps Isolation 2x10

Legs/Shoulders

Squat 4x5
      GHR 3x8
      Military Press 3x8
      Calf Work 2x15

Now with something like this, is it really that bad that I do no to SS? I used to lift and will be returning after a near year long absence. Currently I squat 3x5x175, Dead 1x5x245, Bench 3x5x145.

These are not my maxes it's just where I am along my progression. Took me about 9 work outs to build from the bar at 45lbs up to these. I've have great success on SS before where I hit over 300 on the dead but to be honest I simply don't enjoy the program.

My plan is to train with a caloric surplus until November then cut until after the holidays and bulk again until the summer. I'm aiming for a 4 month on, 2 month off type of setup.

Since I am in no rush to get big now is it really that bad if I just don't bother with SS this time around?

2. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Is not doing SS really that bad man?

SS will make you stronger not much bigger(that will come from your diet). Though when you want to get big, having a solid strength base will make getting bigger much easier.

really you can run SS for 2-3 months then switch...all your lifts are still low enough for that program.

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

I know, originally I had planned to use SS until November and switch after the holidays but seeing as my old max was 305 and I'm almost already there I figured if I was to switch I may as well do it now because I can get to my old maxes using the progression on the simpler routine as well.

Say there are 12 weeks until Nov when I plan on cutting and I did 45-245 in 9 work outs I will hit my plateau by November on all my lifts. See what I mean? Just to give you an idea, I lifted 245 today and it was very easy, my squats are also easy at 175. My bench is slowing but it was never really strong I think my old max was around 165-170 tops assisted. Judging by the 3-4-5 (bench, squat, dead) my lifts are just about where they should be in relation to each other.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

When you hit a stall on SS you deload the weight by 15% and build it back up...do this 2-3x for your lifts and then you'll be ready for a more advanced program.

5. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

No need to do SS.

However, I will say this about the program you've selected: there are 4 exercises throughout the week (and a total of 13 work sets) that work the upper body pushing muscles, and only 2 exercises (for a total of 6 sets) that involve dynamic scapular retraction. You should have at least as many scapular retraction sets as you have upper body pushes to keep your shoulders healthy, so I'd recommend adding in at least another 7 sets throughout the week of exercises that work the rear delts, middle/lower traps and rhomboids through a range of motion. Rear delt flies and wide grip rows are your friends.

6. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I did that for about a year or so. I stalled way back in the early 200's when I first ran the program and, at the time, rebuilt constantly until 305. In order for me to hit 305 I think I must of deloaded like 6 times maybe more. I was stalling very very often. Some weeks I could lift 295+ while other times I couldn't until one day I just nailed 305 and was able to maintain it. However, at 305 my grip breaks completely and had been stuck at that weight for 2 months before I stopped (due to life stuff).

7. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

The program listed above I plan to run for 4 months to get used to the higher rep ranges since I have been training in the 5 rep ranges only. After the holidays I was going to switch to the slightly heavier version that looks like this:

Squats 3 x 5, 1 x 10
      Ham Work 3 x 8-10
      Pullups 20-40 reps
      BB Rows 4 x 6
      Curls 2 x 10

DB or Incline Bench 2 x 5, 4 x 8
      DB OH Press 3 x 8
      Side Laterals 2 x 10
      Skulls 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2-3 x 5
      Leg Press 2 x 10 or 1 x 20
      Chins 20-40 reps
      DB Rows 3 x 8
      Curls 2 x 10

Bench Press 2 x 5, 2 x 8
      DB Flyes 2 x 8-12
      Military Press 3 x 8
      Side Laterals 2 x 10
      Skulls 2 x 10

Workout on Mon/Wed/Fri/Mon and alternate workouts 1/2/3/4 etc...

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Height and weight?

Try your program and see what happens.

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Started 150 6ft and went to 185 give or take 2 pounds. Currently sitting at 172lbs.

10. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

try it and see what happens.

and eat some food...you skinny as fcuk at 6ft.

Tags: