• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • I still don't understand the importance of high fat on a keto diet..?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Canellesao, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I've decided to cut for a few more weeks before attempting a clean bulk, I'm going to do a type of keto but I can't quite work out the reason for the higher consumption of dietary fat.. I think I'm going to find it hard to get in say 50% fat 40% protein 10% carbs and maintain a decent caloric deficit.. is there a disadvantage to doing 60% protein 30 fat 10 carbs?

2. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I still don't understand the importance of high fat on a keto diet..?

U can diet on whatever split u want as long as u are in a calorie defecit! There's nothing really magical about keto, u can still overeat on it! Do whatever's more comfortable and easier to manage for yourself, of course u need to keep relatively high in protein to attempt to retain lbm.

3. emulsions78

emulsions78 Well-Known Member

What happens is when you deplete your carbs, the body looks to the next available source for energy, this why we have such a higher percent of dietary fat so te body does that, as it converts fat into ketones and burns it off, if protein is higher than fat then the body will convert any excess into carbs and use that as the primary energy source. Just remember to use good fats and not junk food

Hope that helps give a better understanding of how a ketosis diet works

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

the bit in bold is incorrect, your fats should be highest of the values because the body shift from using the primary energy source to ketones, it does not think "protein is higher than fats so I will burn that for carbs" protein converted to carbs and used for energy happens when you have very low Fats and Carbs so excess protein can be converted.

Keto diets work well for some and not others but if you set a calorific value under your base so that you are in a negative and you then split it 60% fats/30% pro/10% carbs then I am confused to how you are going over your allowance to ?

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Well that's what I was getting at in regards to the ops question as to why fat has to be high in a keto diet and how protein is being converted in to carbs as the op suggested a low fat, low carb, high protein macro split, As looking at that macro split, there would be an excess in protein and would be used as the primary energy source, no?

7. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Last edited by danMUNDY; 20-07-2012 at 08:47 AM.

8. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Firstly how do you know that gives him an excess in protein? As this is worked out by body weight? Secondly protein is converted when LOW or NO carbs and fats are present, if the fats are high (even if they are not as high as the protein) and you have very low to zero carbs the body uses fats(ketones) as the next energy source, if it used protein as its next energy source there would be no reason for keto diets as high fats would not be needed.
      The reason why in most keto diets the fats are higher than the protein is the same reason in a standard diet carbs are normally the dominant force because of energy although this differs from person to person.

9. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

well I don't know this, as the op hasn't given any stats to do with height and bodyweight an the other variables when working out the p/c/f macros, but I just assumed that setting it up as 60% protein, 30%fat and 10% carbs would not allow him to enter ketosis as based on that macro split, protein would be the dominating macro. I though the whole point of a keto diet is that fat should be the dominating macro, say 70% fat, 25% protein then having the rest, if any from carbs?

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Ah an assumption the point of keto is that you have zero carbs as you can enter keto with high protein if you have high fat and very low carbs, the body only converts protein to sugar (simplistic term) IF there is not enough carbs or fats to fuel the body so IF the primary and secondary energy source is not available (carbs,fats) the body will use protein (muscle)