• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • How the hell are people cutting with calories so high?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by casse, Jul 10, 2012.

1. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I'm 6'1 started out around 200 ~18% bf now I'm about 185 ~14-15%. I see guys much smaller than me "cutting" at 2000 calories or higher, I began the summer eating about 2400 and then dropped to 2200 and finally 2000. Didn't lose an ounce. Once I lowered to about 1700-1800 I finally started to see some loss, but still not as quickly as I expected for eating that low. How the hell are you guys doing it? I lift hard MWF and walk on incline all the way up for 5-10 mins after I lift and jump rope for about 15 mins on my off days.

2. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

How the hell are people cutting with calories so high?

Some people have more LBM, thus requiring more calories to maintain, which means that when they cut they will be higher then the normal person.

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Insane activity?

I'm not cutting now, but acc'd to my body media i burn 4000+ calories on gym+cardio days, and around 4000 on days i play softball. Fast metabolism? i burned nearly 3100 calories on a rest day last week.

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

I was 180lbs and am 5'7 and read all the stickies. Im eating about 2046 cals a day and meeting my macros everyday. so far im losing exactly 1lb of weight a week.

I pretty much just read those stickies, made a spreadsheet and worked my ass off in the gym.

5. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I also try to make myself more active. Parking far away from stores, walking up lots of aisles that i don't have to. I'm very fidgety, too so i don't fight that.

6. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

This could be complete Hokum, according to old Arnold and the New Encyclopedia of Modern Body Building. Larger guys are larger for a reason. I am almost the same stats as you. and find myself in a similar boat. Basically it is saying that bigger guys have a little slower metabolism which allows them to add size easier. This happens because their metabolims doesn't burn everything up. Little guys, vice versa, they are little for a reason. They probably have naturally higher metabolisms and so have a little harder time gaining size but is easier for them to lose.

Like I said could be complete Hokum, but really it makes sense.

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

I've been cutting on about 2200 for a while now and losing about 1/2lb a week. Just my 2c

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Differences in activity level, and don't underestimate people's ability to miscalculate calories. I imagine people who cut successfully at like 3000 calories are actually counting calories very accurately whereas people who are "eating 1800 calories a day but can't looose weight halp me brahs!" are underestimating.

Which is why the parrotting of "omg you are gonna die if you keep eating so little!" is a little bit hollow; most of these people eating "like 1800" calories a day are eating a lot more than that. Brad pilon has a good article about this.

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

As a smaller guy, I'm in your boat. Lately, I can only lose weight (targeting 1lb/week) if I'm at 1300-1400 calories. And I pretty much work out intensely every day, for an hour each.

Nothing much happens for a few weeks, and then I suddenly drop 6 lbs. And if I even upped my calories to 1600, I start plateauing. Or worse, gaining. Not just water weight that goes away in a few weeks but mass that sticks. Ugh.

And then I see guys my size on these forums who cut at 1700 and 1800 calories? I can only hope to reach a point with enough LBM that I can actually up my intake a little. Otherwise it's just a nightmare because if I lose another 5-6 lbs, I'll have to cut my calories down to ~1000.

10. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

So stop cutting?