• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • How much protein?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by fourmatic, Apr 7, 2013.

1. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

I've heard a lot about how much protein you should eat every day while working out and even when losing weight. I find that 1g per 1lb of lean body mass is a good place to be. Meaning If you're 200 lbs but your body would be 160 if you were "lean" then you should be eating 160g of protein a day. What do you guys think/do?

2. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

I've been on much less than that in the past year, around 1g per kg of body weight and I have managed to maintain muscle. I will up it to 1g per pound of body weight when I commence my bulking cycle in a few weeks time.

3. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, during my bulk periods I could up it because protein shakes are a good source of calories as long as you're not replacing meals with them. Then cutting down the amount I get from shakes and try to increase the amount of clean protein I get from chicken, steak etc. for when I am cutting. I wish there was a clear cut answer but it looks like this is they type of thing where you have to check how your body reacts and adjust accordingly.

4. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

I use unflavoured whey protein because I try to avoid the artificial ingredients and sweeteners found in flavoured protein. One scoop of unflavoured contains 120 calories and I will have two scoops per day when I increase my protein intake.

5. andie

andie New Member

I prefer to take protein shakes, that too flavored

6. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Well-Known Member

That sounds good, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is a solid target

7. MarkB

MarkB Administrator Staff Member