• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • How can I train legs at home ?

Discussion in 'Training' started by casse, Jul 23, 2012.

1. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I'm limited to certain equipment at home and I've only been training upper body but how can I train legs, I can squat but I have no squat rack and it would probably be suicide to try and squat, what can I do ? I really really need help since I wan't to train legs, all i can think of is straight leg deadlift, thanks and PLEEEEASE HELP

2. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

How can I train legs at home ?

Dumbell squats,lunges, squats,deadlifts.

3. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

hack squats

deadlifts

stiff leg deadlifts

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Do you have a bench with barbell support? If you do you could go behind the bench and rack/unrack the bar from there.

If your bench has a leg extension attachment that would allow for quad and ham/glute raises. I use these not as my primary leg exercise but just as a superset to fully exhaust my muscles.

If all these are not available to you the only way you would be able to do squats would be to clean the bar up and behind you and then put it down after you are done. However this is super dangerous if you go heavy.
      However I'd really recommend a power rack or at least a squat rack with safety catches.

5. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I do deadlifts, dumbell squats ? aware me

6. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I deadlift already, so I will add stiff legged deadlifts but I cannot hack squat because my weight plates are not that heavy so the load I need will not fit on a dumbbell, any more barbell leg exercises ? Front squats would be dangerous without a rack ?

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Awared. You've been awared.

8. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

What equipment do you have? Dumbbells? Barbell? As said, you could do dumbbell squats. There are also front squats if you've got a barbell, and know how to get the bar on your shoulders cleanly. If you intend to lift at home forever, look into buying a power rack, a squat rack or a set of squat stands. I'll quickly sum up the pros and cons of each

Power racks (one of these) are typically the most expensive, and can handle the most weight. However, they're giant things, so if space is an issue avoid them. Also, unless you plan to be squatting or benching in excess of 400-500 pounds, if not a lot more, you're wasting money, in my opinion.

Squat stands (link) are much cheaper, but handle less weight, and have no safeties to catch the bar, although you can just buy something like saw horses (link) to act as them. Cheapest, smallest and most easily movable of the lot, but not great.

Squat racks (example) are similar to power racks since they have many pre-set levels on which to rack the bar, and good ones come with safety arms that catch the bar, and can act as safeties for benching in them as well. They're smaller than power racks, but more expensive than squat stands. However, if I were building a home gym from scratch I'd go for one of these that can take a good amount of weight over a power rack, both for cost and space reasons.

Asides from squatting, you can do stiff legged or romanian deadlifts, as well as things like lunges, bulgarian split squats, etc.

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

thanks for taking your time, it looks like im interested in them saw horses, I can't really tell muy#ch from the picture, how could they act as squat stands ? and i have barbells and dumbbells but I can't use the dumbbells for these

10. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

No problem. You can get pretty decent squat stands with a heavy weight, and sometimes they even come with safeties themselves, but as for the saw horses, they're basically heavy duty construction equipment, and are placed parallel to one another and under the bar in such a way that the bar/sleeves can rest on them. This is probably the best example of how they can be used:

This guy is pretty psycho though, what with him squatting it up from the bottom position, and letting it clatter down inbetween reps, which I definitely wouldn't recommend. You'd have it set up so that, after unracking the bar from your squat stands and taking a step or two back, they'd be basically in the same position as that guy has them, so that if you can't get the rep you can lower them down and onto the saw horses - like I said, they're heavy duty things, and some can take in excess of 400 pounds.

A problem with getting them is that, if buying them online, you'd need to check the details to see how high they are and then try and figure out if that would be too high or low to be any good. If buying in-store, you'd want to try and squat next to them, preferably with something on your back (being in a hardware store, you'd probably be able to find a stick or pipe of some kind nearby) You don't want them so high that they don't let you hit proper depth, but you also don't want them so low that you end up rounding your back to try and lower the bar onto them if you can't get the rep, just like with safeties in a rack.

Tags: