• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • High mileage cars - good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pustehull, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pustehull

pustehull Well-Known Member

Been half debating to get another nice car - quite like a few Audi models - TT's, A5's, A4's all in S-Line trim and a few BMW's like 330's, Z4's and M3's...

All quite expensive unless they have 50-60,000 miles on them and a over 4 years or so old.

I know a few are executive cars so loads of motorway driving so that's one way I'm thinking but I also hardly see many over 100-120k so does that mean it's unsellable or ready for a slow death somewhere.

Maybe I'm in the wrong mindset.

What's your thoughts and experiences of this.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

High mileage cars - good or bad?

Ah shame mate I just sold my '04 BMW M3.. had 89k miles on the clock and went for £9,250 if thats any help.

IMO if spending that sort of money I would get a car with a lower mileage.. diesels not so much so. Any car can have its problems even from brand new, its pot luck really!

I just bought a focus for 800£ smackers and its so **** I love it lol

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Condition these days is more important than mileage. When you view, make sure you take someone with you who knows what to look for.

Check service history etc, fleet cars will probably have been well serviced and driven mostly on motorways so at 50-60K miles on them, would be a good buy and I wouldn't think twice about that kind of mileage.

More sporty cars (TT's, M3's etc) I personally wouldn't want to buy if they had over 100K on them, unless they were a bargain and excellent condition, as they've probably been driven hard.

4. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I sold my mint Golf R32 Mk4 last year and bought an absolute pooper 106 1.1L... but same! I LOVE IT... just want something nice again at some point as I'm coming up to 30 and feel I should.

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

All the cars u mentioned should easily get well in to the 100s and still run like new as long as it has full service history it wouldn't b a problem

6. crormaSoila18

If the service history is spot on then you should be good to go. Check the service intervals online and if its all present with invoices/reciepts to back it up you should be fine. Try to find a car thats owned by a real petrol head, owners club member, they are normally fastidious with maintenance. Also, check the tyres. Any driver worth his salt wont run cheap tyres on a performance car, if they do chances are corners have been cut else where too.

7. crormaSoila18

Funny you should say that, Im a member of an M3 club.. I kept up to scratch with everything.. yet when it came to tyres.. I compared Mich's to Budget.. cant say I really noticed a significant difference, especially for the 1000£ increase

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Go to the dealership and see if they have any ex demo cars knocking around usually do, i got my 11 plate bmw 1 series for 16k with 17 miles on the clock!

9. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I drive a company car, I would never buy and ex-fleet car.

Last one was a BMW 320d, It went to auction after I had had it three years with 84,000 miles on the clock, it didn't do those miles nicely. To look at it probably seemed fine, every wrinkle , dent or scratch was professionally repaired as soon as they happened, it had full dealer service history....but the car was a dog. I didn't care about preserving it, didn't care about fuel economy, didn't care about knocking it round. I would try and get the back end to to slide out on every roundabout, didn't slow down for speed bumps, drive it on the limit every trip. They are well built but it just wasn't made to be abused like that. In the last 3 months I had it it needed £2.5k worth of mechanical repairs, the turbo packed in, the clutch completely burned out, the gear box was fecked, I have no doubt that in the 3 months after it was sold it would need another £2.5k doing on it.

I feel sorry for whoever bought it, it probably looked great at auction but fleet cars always do.

10. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

You probably liked going sideways to much!! ;)
      Its a general rule, with a few exceptions.