• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Flat BB bench press I don't like you no mo'

Discussion in 'Training' started by Greg, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Flat BB bench press I don't like you no mo'

Have you tried doing rest-paused sets on the flat bench press? With negatives? Since I've done this I feel like someone took a hammer to my chest and tried to make it into mush, and while my triceps were obviously worked they don't feel that phased.

If you haven't you could give that a whirl. In DC training, one of the things they have you do is if you adopt a really stable stance (like a powerlifter), you do a set with 2 rest-pauses trying to hit a total of 11-15 rest-paused reps, all with negatives. So you would do something like 9 reps the first time, rest for 20 seconds, 4 reps the second time, rest 20 seconds, then 2 reps the third and final time, for a total of 15 reps.

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Yes, I incorporate rest-pause/DC on all my main lifts, been doing this for quite some time,
      it's just the mechanic of the flat bench, these last 4 days I've been experimenting with different positions,
      diff grips, floor press etc.. there is something about the *flat* that takes my pecs off the equation.
      I noticed a very light incline works the best (this was exactly the same for Yates for example..), like less than 30 degrees
      But still, DB stimulate much more than BB. If I go lighter with the barbell then I get crazy pumps and stimulation,
      heavy? I feel it everywhere (back, lats, delts, tris..) BUT in my pecs

Sunday is gonna be chest again and my session will look like this (listing only the exercises)

Warm-up incline BB bench
      Incline DB Flys (heavy) + incline BB supersets
      Incline or Flat (I'll be switching every 2 weeks) DB press + flat BB supersets
      Weighted Dips
      Stiff arm extreme stretching flys (flat/incline/flat/incline) alternating regular and pronated grip
      DB floor press (I'll go heavy with these, low rep, rest-pause/DC)
      One arm cable burnsets
      Pushups to failure diff width

then tris..

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Barbell bench presses are overrated.. Yeah, you can't handle as much weight with dumbbells, but you don't really need to.

While I never really establish a good feel when doing barbell bench presses, using DBs feels so natural.

DB benching > Barbell benching

... Unless you're into competitive bench pressing I suppose. And some guys just like to see high benching numbers. To each their own.

4. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

that sucks about the long arm thing.
      My T-Rex arms make Barbell and dumbell feel the same for me. Although I totally agree that bigger numbers don't mean a thing. I can get the same burn doing 225 for reps or 350 for low reps for a couple sets

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Nice read...I have the same problem, so I usually will do DB press heavy, some incline presses depending on how I feel it'll be either DB or BB and even Hammer strength. Then when it comes to BB flat bench I go light and do 21's...then I really feel it in my chest!
      Also doing DC in a squat rack where I have the safety bars situated so I start my bench press from the bottom position and not the top.
      Starting from the bottom at a dead stop really makes that first rep intense, which only compounds on the following reps.
      Doing 21's with BB flat bench has made a difference for me...only wish I started doing this years ago.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

It's not a staple for me, but I certainly do like to mix in some flat BB bench. I'll probably do it for 6 weeks, 3x a year but like others have said I prefer incline BB presses.

I actually had to take a break from DB presses because they started hurting my shoulder. Odd since I see so many go the other way.

7. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting, how are you performing 21's for flat bench? 7 half reps low touching the chest, 7 half reps high w/ out going down to the chest and than 7 full range reps?

8. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Yesterday I've been doing my first workout with the changed routine,
      now as usual I do so many sets and exercises that I hardly remember
      all of them but less or more this is how it went:

Inclined BB bench - warm-up - 3 sets, light, different timing for the 3 sets
      Inclined flys - pre-exhaustion sets
      Inclined DB press - 5 sets - heavy. Ended up doing 6 because I felt very good stimulation
      and most important I was feeling like I could go up with weight still holding a perfect form.

NOTE: at this point I was already feeling MUCH MORE stimulation on my pecs
      than my regular routine (the heavy sets on flat BB bench would've been just finished
      and the dropsets would start).

Then I followed the same routine I use to do with flat BB and started dropsets with DB instead,
      felt great. My dropsets are very heavy, more like a modified DC (I also do rest-pause on my last 2 sets)
      till I can't take it anymore, then I start really dropping weight and go for fast burnsets.
      A couple of sets of pushups to failure followed.

Then it was time for Inclined BB bench, which stimulates my pecs better than flat but still,
      there's something about the barebell that doesn't quite hit them like DB, it was obvious, but,
      keeping the ego out of the weight room I kept the weight moderate to high and really focused
      on the movement, explosive on the way up, slow on the way down.
      Massive difference, weight really means lil..
      After 4 sets went for 3 dropsets, and then the enemy, went for flat bench for the super/burnsets,
      did 4 sets, alternating fast and slow, light weight 2 of them were 30 reps minimum, getting a wider
      grip every 10reps (no re-racking).

After this, a new entry for me, floor press. Nice suprise I could go almost as heavy as my flat,
      but I was worried about my shoulder so I didn't go all the way even because I felt like I didn't need that
      I had wild pump on my chest like I hadn't had in years!
      For the floor press I went for heavy load since the first set and did DC, since
      the range of movement is restricted seemed ideal to go heavy.

After that time for my fav, DB flys, there is NOTHING that hits my pecs like those,
      both inclined or flat.
      I went for flat this time since both DB press and BB bench were inclined,
      but next time I'll be doing these as first heavy exercise and put DB presses in their place.
      5 heavy, solid, pretty freaking amazing sets of these, then 2 light burnsets, 1st pronated grip (inclined)
      2nd regular grip.

2 sets of flys on the swiss ball, concentration w/isometric
      Some more pushups

Then weighted dips, I go very heavy on weighted dips,
      but it wasn't a good idea to do them at the end, I'll be switching position
      between these and the floor press, put that one at the end instead, or at least
      I'll try because I like the stretch i get from weighted dips after the other exercises.
      Anyways, 4 sets, rest-pause for the heaviest and then drop the weight and go to failure
      just with bodyweight.

Stiff arm flat/inclined flys (alternating), light but with extreme stretching

and that was it for chest, then the tris routine which I won't list.

So the verdict after this first new chest workout is: freakin' fantastic.
      Stimulation during the workout was mindblowing compared to having
      flat bench as main/heaviest exercise, but still, I do love it for supersets and burnsets.
      DOMS today are insane, I do not remember last time I've felt such pain in my chest,
      love it!

So, new routine is a keeper even tho' I'll surely be tweaking the sequence in the next weeks.
      Win!

9. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with my ape arms. I literally tore my rotator cuff benching 225. I was using good form but I have loose shoulder joints and that compounds the problem. Whenever i do flat BB bench i feel it in my shoulder joints more so than my chest. I stick to dumbells and hammer strength press.

10. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Glad you liked the floor presses, Auto!

Tags: