• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Female MISC: What does you mean by "treat me like a lady" ?

Discussion in 'Female Bodybuilding' started by jailynn24hb, Apr 1, 2012.

1. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Female MISC: What does you mean by "treat me like a lady" ?

i wouldn't know. my mother never told me i should/should not behave in X, Y or Z type manner because that is/isn't ladylike.

i've read about it though. don't wear a low-cut top, and always let a man believe he is smarter than you. wear stockings and wear red lipstick and be mysterious. that sort of thing.

huh?

i don't think men and women are the same physically, emotionally, psychologically or what have you. we're very different in several aspects. that doesn't mean one is 'better' than the other, and would deserve white-glove treatment as a default.

regardless, i'd say men have a biological tendency to view women as 'property' of sorts and hence want to protect that what 'belongs' to them. likewise, women like to feel protected. it runs deep on both sides, and it makes relationships particularly charming

but that's not the same as treating women like a princess on a pea, just because.

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Last edited by Miranda; Yesterday at 10:10 PM.

3. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Please produce the source... I'd like to read it too!

No one should tell you to act in X/Y/Z way because it is "lady-like", as you say. That being said, there is no rational reason I can see why a male and a female, with different biological tendencies as you note, wouldn't naturally be inclined to act differently in certain situations. There is nothing wrong with this, nor any rational reason to feel defensive for being different from the opposite sex. Neither is better obviously (and a rather childish argument this would be), but they certainly aren't equal (by the very definition).

Source again?

I get the door for women/etc. While on occasion I'm not sure exactly why (aside from the obvious), I can tell you it isn't rooted in some sort of cynical conception that I own a woman, or that my companions have been my 'property'. I'd be very interested in how you've come to some of your opinions here.

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Last edited by SheHadMANHands; Yesterday at 11:16 PM.

5. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

see also: a gazillion threads on this forum about women not being 'feminine' if they lift weights/fart/don't wear make-up/make faces when lifting et cetera.

most of it is inherent to cultural values and norms. they're handed down to everyone within a given cultural setting and accepted as some kind of universal 'truth'.

hum. i think we're at risk of confusing definitions here. men and women are of equal worth, yet quite different. different sides to the same coin, if you ask me.

and it's not that 'a woman is different from a man' you know. a man is different from a woman

i don't know, claiming 'ladylike' treatment specifically makes me think the woman herself somehow feels she is 'lesser' than a man and hence must receive special attention. opening a door really shouldn't be too much of a task, no? [not accounting for carrying heavy groceries and other self-explanatories.]

i can see how some branches of feminism befuddled a lot of things for everyone, too. although it must be said that if a woman sees anything nice done to her by a man as misogynistic and condescending then, apparently, she doesn't think that much of her own worth in the first place.

bla bla bla. just do nice things to each other, folks. it shouldn't have to be more complicated than that.

6. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Last edited by Miranda; Today at 12:25 AM.

7. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Dilemma:

Imagine the Titanic disaster occurs tomorrow... same disaster, same number of rescue boats, etc. Is it still women and children first, or every man, woman, and child for themselves now?

And what does this have to do with the 'property' mentality, if one so existed? Were we, as men, simply attempting that fateful morning to save our 'cargo'?

8. yesun

yesun Well-Known Member

I don't use this terminology. People should treat each other with respect as human beings, not based on gender.

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

I don't really here girls saying "treat me like a lady" i here, "i want a man that will treat me like a lady".. and its usually those who have no self-respect.

I am a firm believer that you should treat others how you want to be treated, and if your not treating your otherhalf with the respect then he shouldn't be treating you like wise or "like a lady".