• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Fear Of Squatting.

Discussion in 'Training' started by remstation, Apr 2, 2012.

1. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Ever since I was in high school, I squatted and had a horrible experience my first time. Every time I look at the squat rack, or even the smith machine, I feel as though I will fall on my ass or just snap my back.

I had a crazy sensation and my legs gave out while I was squatting. I was being spotted, and everything was set up right. I was being watched by many people, so any time I think about going to a gym to squat it terrifies me.

Any suggestions? Something else I could possibly do to make up for squatting?

I'm very tall, which is why I think squatting seems to be so difficult for me.

2. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Start light and progress from there. You don't have to start out squatting 500 lbs. I have 2 herniated discs and I was told I needed surgery and I still squat and deadlift. Just started out light. Light for me was just a bar. Learn proper form and progress slowly and you should be fine. Nothing to be afraid of only unless you are trying to lift more than you honestly can with terrible form.

JMHO

In b4 others say see Dr Phil!

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Get over it?

Don't know what else to tell you.

4. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

I have trained someone with a similar fear in the past.
      His phobia was with losing balance and falling with the bar on his shoulders.
      An alternative was to squat holding dumbbells to his side. This version will limit the amount of weight lifted but will at least help to keep squats in the mix until the confidence returns.

5. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Start with an empty bar and work your way up. If you're too afraid to do this you may need to take up a new hobby. Maybe golf wouldn't be as scary.

6. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

This is my new favorite post. Also spot on advice.

7. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

I had broken my leg in 4 places before hand, about a year before. I went to squat, and it seemed that that leg had given out, and caused my back to make a crunching sound, and I couldn't move my neck or turn very much for about a week or so.

I plan on squatting again, but what I would like to know is if there are any suggestions someone could give me since I am fairly tall and squats are somewhat difficult for me. I will start with about 50 pounds or so today and go from there.

8. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Here's some suggestions:

The strongest squatters in the world are all, I believe, over 6'. Your height should not be used as a crutch. But it seems every tall guy wants to play the "woe is me, I'm tall, lifts are hard" card.

So... I'll revert back to my other post:

Get over it?

9. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

And Ill get over your rude posts as well. I prefer to stick to reading posts where the advice matters, rather than those who post for post count, and to insult others.

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Fear Of Squatting.

Search youtube for proper form techniques. This helped me a lot...... nb4crossfit haters

Tags: