• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Extremely confused. Please someone help?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by parnassto, Jul 13, 2012.

1. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Hi...
      ok. so basically, i've been trying out this myfitnesspal app (which is great by the way) for those of you who might not know, you list all your foods into this app and it shows you how many carbs/protes/fats/cals you get overall...
      i've calculated my 'maintanance calories' at 2513cals per day with a cal calculator online, suggesting i take in 251g of carbs/251g of protein and 55g of fat.

see...I KNOW that that is not my maintanance cals. Because i've gone an entire year or so eating around about 1700 cals and still have been gaining muscle...i've only been lifting for 2 years and this is me now (on about 1700ish cals a day) and i weigh 12 stone (168lbs) at 6'1
      [​IMG]

Now, my typical day (and i ate like this for over a year) would be something like..
      1-bowl of shredded wheat
      2-2 boiled eggs on two slices whole wheat bread
      3 - small bowl of oatmeal with semi-skim milk preworkout
      4 - post work out shake (PHD pharma whey)
      5 - whatever is for dinner

Now, i've been trying to bulk recently, and despite entering my sh!t into myfitnesspal...it's saying i'm only hitting like 2000cals at the most...and i am seriously stuffing my face here...i don't understand...why is everywhere saying i need to eat SO much to get bigger...but i seem to be getting bigger with like 2000 calories? and how the hell does someone eat 350 grams of carbs in a day??! seriously wtf?! i managed to hit just over 250g yesterday and that was pushing it...how would you eat that much carbs without blowing your fats through the roof and munching down pizzas and stuff? and why does it seem like i don't really have to eat that much when EVERYWHERE suggests that i should be? Please someone shed some light on this, it's so confusing. i have absolutely no idea what macros should be. i want to bulk, but i dont want to get fat when i do it shoving my face with pizza or anything.

2. parnassto

Extremely confused. Please someone help?

you haven't been gaining on 1700 cals. If you do, you have a thyroid problem.

for reference, my maintenance is around 2600-700 and I weigh one fiddy

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Your pretty lean man and would say you are the perfect candidate to do a lean bulk. Try eating about 300 cals above your maintenance. If you are gaining weight slowly AND getting stronger in the 5-12 range, you are getting bigger. You can't make muscle out of nothing, so gaining mass in a deficit state doesn't really happen unless you are a noob. Get your about 1.25g of protein for your bodyweight, about 80g of fat and fill the rest with carbs.

Good luck.

4. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY I honestly have....i ate the way i just described for an entire year/year and a half...and i've only been lifting for just under 2 years...wtf is wrong with me?

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I'll try recalculate based on what you just said and see what result comes out that way, and I do want to do it as clean as possible too, I don't mind slow-bulking, there's no rush

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

You can gain lbm in a deficit when you are a newb, this happens the first year. After that it is HIGHLY unlikely. And being 6'1 at 169 it's really unlikely you've gained much mass, not hating. Don't confuse strength gains on a deficit with mass gains. This happens, like I said with noobs, but not really going to happen once youve trainined longer.

7. parnassto

Maybe im entering stuff into myfitnesspal wrong or something?

8. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Ok, that definitely makes sense, but i mean what i am now and what i was two years ago is a drastic change...back then i was just a skinny guy with no muscle and some fat on the stomach...literally no muscle at all...and i've heard that a lot how gains will slow down after the first year or 2...to be honest i hope they do so then i can see how much i SHOULD be getting??

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Maybe, I really like the following from Kelly Bagget to calculate my foods. Never really used calculators much.

10. Francis

Francis Well-Known Member

Thanks man...that's actually very helpful i'm gonna save that...repped