• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Does yoga help?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Zest, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Zest

Zest Active Member

My younger sister is a great yoga fan and she claims that it helps with burning calories. Do you have any experience with it? Did anyone lose any weight because of yoga?

2. Zonezan

Zonezan Member

My sister did yoga also, but I am pretty sure she did it to be more flexible. I have never tried it myself but have thought about it numerous times.

3. Zest

Zest Active Member

Yeah, most girls like it. I can't imagine doing it myself ;)

4. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

Does yoga help fat loss? My answer would be yes. You can burn a few hundred or more calories in a yoga session. Some forms of yoga are more demanding and thus burn more calories. You can burn up to 600 calories doing vinyasa yoga, for example.

5. deansaliba

deansaliba Active Member

I didn't know that Yoga could help you lose weight, I always thought it was an exercise workout to help you feel good.

6. allswl

allswl New Member

A 2005, medical research study on the weight-loss effects of yoga. Some 15,500 middle-aged men and women, all healthy completed a survey listing their physical activity, that also included yoga, and what they weighed. The participants were between 45 and 55 years of age. The resulting data was analysed and they found that yoga could indeed assist in helping people shed pounds and also help to keep them from gaining weight.

checkout this article: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/yoga-for-weight-loss

7. johnwilson225

johnwilson225 Member

I heard it helps you lose weight but not a lot. Don't just focus on yoga to help you, start jogging everyday also. Watch what you eat, try to eat small meals.

8. Gift3d

Gift3d Member

My girlfriend loves it, She tells me how hard it is and I didn't believe her. We went to her class together doing hot yoga. And it killed me lol, Holding poses is insanely hard. expecially when the room is like 100 degrees you sweat like a maniac

9. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel Member

I absolutely love yoga as well, but I'm just a beginner. I actually don't just like it for the workout, but also because it helps with stress and overall improves my mental health. I just do yoga a couple times a week in addition to more strength training and cardio. Therefore, I don't know how effective it is to lose weight solely doing yoga, because I've never tried it. But I do find it compliments my current workout program extremely well.

10. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

The role ALL exercise plays in weight control is minimal. The key factor in weight control is nutrition. Creating a calorie deficit is important if you want to lose weight, as is restricting carbohydrate consumption.