• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Developed a fear of squatting heavy - confidence issue

Discussion in 'Training' started by parnassto, Aug 8, 2012.

1. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

I'm currently training for my first strongwoman comp in the new year (I don't feel ready for this year).

Primarily I am working on deadlifts, squats, bench press and military press and all is going great, but I have somehow developed a fear of a heavy squat and I have no idea why I do or where it came from.

My thoughts are that I always train alone at the gym because I go at quiet hours when the (only) squat rack will be free. Being alone means that I don't have any gym buddies - no friends/relatives etc interested in weight training - therefore... I have no one to spot me.

The staff there are a bit useless as their always hiding away (one staff member only and not always there - 24hr gym). I used to do PTs so I'd have a spotter, but I can't afford it anymore.

Even though I'm in the rack, I'm worried about dropping the weight and injuring myself.

My last attempt before this fear began, I only did 50kg. Now I'm not sure how it is in comparison, but I can do 140-150kg on the leg press, so I reckon I should be able to squat at least my body weight (70kg) which is my first aim. Not much, but it's a start.

What is a good way of working the confidence back?

2. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Developed a fear of squatting heavy - confidence issue

if you have a squat rack with safety bars, you have no worries. if not, ask someone in the gym to spot you, 99% of people will say yes.

if those two are not possible, start off at a weight you feel comfortable at then increase weight with your confidence.

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

You have access to a squat rack, so be grateful. You don't need a spotter to assist you. Why would you need one? If you fail to get back up, the weight is too heavy and you will end up dropping the barbell on the safety rails.

All I can say is that keep squatting and don't do more than three reps. That's closer to your 1RM, and will help you overcome your fear of squatting heavy. Another thing you can do is, load the bar with more weight than you have actually squatted (maybe 60-65 kg) and just stand there with the bar on your back. It'll compress your spine so much that when you do your next set (with a lower weight), you'll have an easier time repping it.

\/ \/ \/

"My thoughts are that I always train alone at the gym because I go at quiet hours when the (only) squat rack will be free."

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I'm sure that she isn't the ONLY person in the gym

5. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

^^As Arnold would say, Lucifer gives good advices.
      I go to a gym where I am the only person there, and I am able to train to failure with no problems. I can go as heavy as I want, and don't have anything to worry about. Maybe you just need to hit failure, drop down, and let the rails catch the weight so you feel comfortable. You could try getting a weight you are comfortable with and squatting it until you truly fail, even if it takes 20+ reps. You'll see that it is ok to rely on the rack, and some of the fear may go away.

6. unyende

unyende Well-Known Member

Learn to fail, pretend to fail a squat with the bar only so you know what to do.

7. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll give those tips a go tomorrow - meant to do squats today and kinda missed it.

And matw, not always, but yes, at times I am the only one in the gym. Plus, my phrase meant that I train without another person with me.
      They have tags you're required to take with you if you are the only one there - if you get injured, you press the button and an ambulance is called.

8. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Mate there comes a point when you just need to suck it up and get under the bar.

As everyone said with safety bars your fine, there's always a certain amount of risk with weight training but in this situation just man up and get it done. This fear will vanish as quick as it came.

9. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

lol she is a girl

10. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Ah, apologies.

Sorry OP regardless of sex, strength based competitions such as strongwoman will present risk of dropping weights etc. There's no way round this and lets be honest you won't have any support or spotters during the competition.