• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • dealing with "food comas"

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Korporalegq, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

so, if i hear right, a food coma is caused by "too much" insulin release post-eating? am i correct? if not, please correct me.

also, how would one deal with food comas? i have heard that 16:8 fasting works because then we are only getting 1 or 2 insulin releases during the 8 hr feeding window. is this correct?

what are some legit ways of getting over the "food coma" quicker?

are food comas healthy/useful?

2. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

dealing with "food comas"

You deal with 'food comas' by not eating so much in one sitting. Also the fasting thing is the opposite of the truth. When you're fasting for 16 hours you'll become more insulin sensitive so your first meal will have a much larger insulin spike than if you ate more frequently. You'll feel fatigued after breaking your fast and consuming a decent amount of food.

3. adabook

adabook Well-Known Member

Lol Broda I like you man , but you eat broscience like crazy if you believe what I just bolded ! Frequent meals are not better than IF...and IF is not necessarily better than them either...Anyhow, you need insulin sensitivity if you wanna add muscle or lose fat, works for both.

4. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I just meant that it's the opposite of what he said. His post said that IF was better for 'food comas' since there's less insulin spikes than a higher frequency. I was just disagreeing with that, that's all. I do IF myself!

5. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

What are "Food comas" anyway...you go into comatose mode if you eat too much? Becuase I am heading to coma-ville then...I am eating ATM (finally breaking fast) 4 cups oatmeal, 4 tbsp of EVOO and 16oz of lean ground turkey...

6. latin

latin Well-Known Member

It's basically just a slang term for when you eat a crap ton of food and become extremely fatigued and want to sleep, haha

7. gabarit

gabarit Well-Known Member

"food comas" is slang for when ppl get tired after eating, usually is used after thanksgiving when ppl eat way way too much and fall asleep after. there are degrees of intensity with food comas i guess. i just experience mild sleepiness after eating (a bit annoying), i do 2 meals a day, not insanely big, but i guess enough carbs and protein to make it happen.

8. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

...Jynx, you owe me a steak.

9. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Drowziness on thanksgiving is due to:

You can decide weather to believe it or not, I just know I stuff myself with over 200g of carbs in 1 sitting with over 16oz of turkey on a weekly basis and I never get drowsy...

10. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Yup ^ The only time I really got a 'food coma' was when I went to a Japanese hibachi place and I overloaded myself to the max. I needed a nap after that!