• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Bod Pod testing: found out im a fatty

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Korporalegq, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Bod Pod testing: found out im a fatty

I don't see how you are getting any "implications" from his post other than "no, the Bod-Pod isn't the end-all, be-all in terms of body composition testing" that your post seemed to imply. And, as the link suggests, the Bod Pod doesn't actually MEASURE your body fat like you claim, it PREDICTS it based on a number of assumptions that may or may not be valid. Same as say the caliper algorithms allowing for visceral/intramuscular fat not sampled with skin-folds, but added based on height/weight/age.

The Bod Pod probably has the potential to be more accurate than skinfolds, but whether it actually is or not in the real world I am not so certain. Over the last few years I've seen some pretty screwy-seeming results, and multiple tales of redacted results based on failed calibrations. I am uncertain as to what value getting a very-much ball-parked body composition number has IRL, especially if you have to both go out of your way to get it and pay for it. At least with calipers I can say, hey, my abdomen skin fold dropped 4mm in six weeks, and I am reasonable assured I am getting leaner, regardless of the %BF the equation spits out. And I didn't need to spend money and take time off work to get that information.

2. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Bod Pod testing: found out im a fatty

I think the most important thing to do is to just choose one method of measurement and just stick with it. Most people do calipers, others do measurements. All that is fine because all we really want to measure is change. All of the above methods can measure change very well.