• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Another "macro ratios and timing are important" article on BB

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by baletki, Aug 11, 2012.

1. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen it:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-...ing-ratio.html

Mike Roussell, Ph. D. has written an article explaining that timing of meals and the ratios of their macros are very important, but anyone who has spent any time on the Nutrition forum and read Emma's sticky (as well as implying ratios and timing are important and gotten slammed by other users) knows otherwise. The article is on the front page of BB's Nutrition tab.

It's easy to understand why a total noob to diet and nutrition would think that all the broscience is true, or at least be very confused and not know who to believe. I even question my knowledge every now and then, but then I remind myself that I don't time anything and I think I'm doing pretty well.

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Another "macro ratios and timing are important" article on BB

having readers think nutrient timing is important for body composition serves to benefit supplement dealers/companies such as bb.com

example: guy thinks he needs casein protein b4 bed so he won't go catabolic, so he picks some up from bb.com store

3. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true... I spend a lot of time on the forums and forget that BB.com is still a business at heart.

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

^^ This is the world of nutrition!

5. casse

casse Well-Known Member

same here

Sure is, and i think we've all been (or at least i have) been suckered into buying some dumb supplement(s) because we were convinced we needed them. I have a buddy who wants to start working out and the other day he asked me "What should i get at G N C?" I said nothing.. get a gym membership. Unfortunate how people can look to supplements before training and diet.

6. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

I think we all have :) marketing is the largest revenue-earning thing in the U.S. (dunno about the rest of the world), and it does its job very well. It's like a right of passage to have bought something completely unnecessary to meat goals that are perfectly attainable with the right workout and a lot of food. I still have junk I bought years ago and never used / felt any effects of at all. Money gone, but experience is invaluable.

7. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

agreed 100%. spending my hard-earned money and foodz now

8. jailynn24hb

Is not that ratios aren't important, it's that ratios are not best used for determining ones macro needs. This is because the intended goal can have such a large affect on ones calorie intake, therefore influencing the amount needed on a daily basis.

There's also another misconception around here, (probably deservedly so) and that's that everyone here thinks meal timing is irrelevant, it's not! It's not depending on the situation! For instance, for performance, satiety, convenience etc, it certainly can make a difference. However, when someone that is knowledgeable on this forum, tells someone looking for advice, that meal spacing isn't necessary, that is directly dealing with the idea that frequent meals specifically enhances body composition, it doesn't. In other words, the concept that frequent meals "stokes your metabolism" or other such nonsense. That has been disproved many times, and just on face value makes absolutely no metabolic sense whatsoever.

9. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Couldn't possibly have said it better myself :) thanks for this.

10. jailynn24hb

very true, i believe i said meal timing was irrelevant for body composition and nothing else. if not then it was a mistake

Tags: