• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • 5x5 vs 3x8-12 debate.. really?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by crormaSoila18, Sep 18, 2012.

1. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

ok so i was just thinking people say 5x5 for strength and 3x8-12 (lets call it 3x8 to make things simpler).

so yes 5x5 for strength and 3x8 for hypertrophy - theres just something thats niggling away at me about this. surely, even though people go on about 5x5 for strength, if you can bench 100+ kilos for 5 your not going to have a small chest? same goes for legs, someone who can squat 150k parallel or below isnt going to have small legs.

the other thing is the maths (total poundage moved).

take me for example say on flat bench i do 3x8 my sets will be as follows - set one:75k, set two:77.5k, set three: 82.5k. total poundage moved (weight times reps) = 1280K

if i go 5x5 my sets are as follows: set one: 77.5k, set two: 80k, set three: 82.5k, set four:85k, set five:90k. total poundage moved: 2075k

so surely my muscle has been put under more stress moving 2075k as opposed to 1280K. OR does TUT really come into things that much when it comes to hypertrophy?someone please help clear this up for me as its been bugging me for a few days.

with regards to my training im doing an upper/lower split and do a mix of 5x5 and 3x8 anyway (i.e. for chest on upper day one it will be 3x8 inc db, 3x8 flat db and day two upper will be 5x5 flat bench). i just want this cleared up lol.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

5x5 vs 3x8-12 debate.. really?

- The reason people say 8-12 for hypertrophy is as you say TUT and also getting the 'burn' and blood pump into the muscle, whereas 5x5 isn't as good for getting the 'pump' or 'burn'. It basically means if you want to increase specifically your strength faster then 5x5 (or lower reps) would be more appropriate, obviously you would gain size too. But the theory is you'll gain more size doing the higher reps, but less strength due to extra fatique.

- Calculating total poundages (using the reps x weight method) is just a theory i think mate; so more doesn't necessarily mean better.

At the end of the day, it's all theories! Not 1 person is correct, and not 1 person is wrong.

3. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Interested to hear peoples responses to this as i normally do 3 x 8-12

4. jailynn24hb

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek8.htm

Higher rep range is best for hypertrophy but I do 5x5 and I've had no trouble in getting my legs big.

However I've seen people in my gym push lighter weights than me but their muscles are much bigger so I think the above article is correct.

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

i am wrong in thinking 5x5 should be you max lift you can lift for 5 reps?

so in your case would be 90kg for 5x5???

i'm not familiar with 5x5 and never done it but wouldnt it be better to do a warm up set then your max for 5 reps?

as if you can do 90kg for 5 reps whats the point in doing 77.5kg when you know you can?

6. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

IMO TUT is very important when trying to add size.

7. jailynn24hb

ok i see, nice little read that.

so basically doing what im doing, combining 5x5 and 3x8-12, maximises muscle growth.

8. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

if i tried going straight off on 90K i would more than likley cause an injury. i.e you wouldnt just walk into the gym, load up a bar, and attempt your 1RM deadlift. your going to fvck yourself up

9. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Variety is the spice of life, don't they say?

10. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

yeah basically saying that alternating with 5x5 and 3x8-12 allows you to push more on your hypertrphy sets and therefore increase the load on the muscle on the 3x8 sets.

Tags: