• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Strange tips

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by AnnaU93, Mar 28, 2013.

1. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

I know many people who drink two full cups of water before eating a meal because it fills them up quicker which causes them to eat less food. I would do this but it's really hard to drink this much especially when you are to thirsty.

Do you have anything similar to this that you do that helps you lose more weight in the long run?

Share any of your tips and tricks!

2. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

It's not very good advice for gut health because it will dilute your stomach acid and make digestion difficult. You should really avoid drinking water before, during or after your meal. Drinking water while eating carbs will make you feel bloated and horrible.

3. abetterme

abetterme Member

I've heard that drinking one full glass of water with every meal will help you lose weight and prevent water retention. I haven't tried it yet, but I love drinking water and always have ice water near by. If I try this method I will let you know how it works out as far as weight loss goes.

4. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Drinking a gallon of water a day is excellent for you and helps keep you full. Another tip would be get a fiber supplement and drink it an hour before dinner, that would help a lot with overeating.

5. musclemad

Is it excellent for you? I know it can flush out toxins but it also flushes out the good stuff as well. There is such thing as overhydration and it is just as bad as dehydration. I think you should just drink when you feel thirsty.

6. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel Member

I do end up drinking before most meals because I'm always hydrating. But it isn't intentionally to fill me up, and I still eat the full amount I planned. But I guess a good tip would be drinking green tea before your meals since it can help speed up your metabolism. I also have a glass of lemon water with a little cayenne pepper in the morning.

7. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

I want to preface this by saying I'm not a doctor, talking to one is always the best idea when you're not sure about something pertaining to your health.

Those are both popular misconceptions about especially about overhydration. Overhydration occurs well over 1 gallon of water in a short period of time causing hyponatremia or when your body has very very low sodium in it. Key word here being short period of time, so if you're just slamming water for the sake of slamming it, don't! A healthy kidney processes about a quarter of a gallon an hour on average.

As for flushing out good stuff: the only thing you would be flushing out would be sodium but with a regular balanced diet and spreading the gallon out over an entire day this shouldn't be an issue.

I guess being more specific would have been helpful in my earlier post. My blanket statement of "drink a gallon of water a day" was quite lazy and I apologize. To put this in perspective you would have to drink 9oz an hour for 14 hours to drink a gallon, that's quite easy and doable. In the research I have done in the past has lead me to believe it is safe to drink a gallon over the course of 12 to 16 hours of awake time in a day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eatingwell/water-facts_b_913142.html#s321000&title=Do_I_Need (on water)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/04/10/water.losing.weight.jampolis/ ( on too much water )

So in a nutshell. I'm not a doctor so do some research and talk to your doctor, after which enjoy as much water as he/she says is cool and that you feel comfortable with. Males and females come in all body types and shapes/sizes so figure out what would be appropriate for you. And above all be safe!

On topic cool tip: Take cold showers, it helps your body burn fat faster after a workout. Once you get used to the cold (ease into it) they can be quite refreshing after a workout.

8. musclemad

You can also flush out vitamins and minerals, the more you urinate the more you lose. I know from personal experience of drinking up to 2-gallons per day that it makes you irinate A LOT.

I don't need to listen to my doctor, I listen to my body instead, it tells me when I need to drink.

9. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

I was saying that more to make sure people don't accidentally hurt themselves. (the doctor stuff) Wouldn't you agree that drinking a gallon over an entire day would (should) give your body plenty of time to remove the required nutrition, vitamins and minerals from the food and supplements? I couldn't find a lot of info about washing out vitamins online unfortunately. And I do agree drinking a lot of water does tend to send you to the restroom a lot.