• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • "Starvation Mode" is a myth.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Korporalegq, May 8, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

This has been bugging me for a while.

As summer approaches, a lot of people are posting their diets for critique. A lot (because they are on a limited time scale) are fairly low calorie, circa 1200-1800kcal per day. I've seen quite a few regular posters on here suggesting that low calorie diets lead to "starvation mode", well I wanted to point out that this is simply untrue.

True "starvation mode" only occurs when you get below the essential level of fat that a human should carry, for a man this is below 5%. Not many people (if any at all) will approach that level of leanness, but some competitive bodybuilders might approach that for a few days around a show.

Essentially, what really happens when you drop calories low is that you subconsciously drop activity to match (unless you're actively monitoring it that is). The "Energy Out" side of the energy balance equation reduces, and therefore you see a drop off in weight loss. You are NOT entering starvation mode when this occurs. Other annoying things like water weight and the fact that fat loss is never linear can make people think their approach isn't working.

Full anyone interested the full article is here: Are you in starvation mode or starving for the truth?

2. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

"Starvation Mode" is a myth.

Lyle mcdonald seems to think it exists, something to do with cortisol, dont know the ins and outs though!!

3. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Only if you chronically diet with a VLCD (very low calorie diet) for extended periods dude. You can off set small drops in metabolism with refeeds, yes, as metabolism will drop slightly with any diet. You won't enter starvation mode though.

4. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I actually posted an article from Lyle I the diet section. Was a good read actually.

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Cortisol, the stress hormone is elevated when the body is out to extremes ( also during mental stress and lack of sleep) when cortisol is elevated, fat loss can be greatly blunted...hence the term starvation mode (holding onto what stores it has)

Periodic refeeds can control the hormones like cortisol and leptin to aleviate this effect however

6. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

If it didnt exist, you would be able to eat nothing for a week and lose weight. Which doesnt work...

7. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

If you ate nothing for 7 days I garuantee you would loose weight.

Not the weight you wish to be, but a fair amount all the same

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

9. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

U would be heading down the road to crackheadsville style physique lol

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Been dieting only on fresh Pomegranate juice and believe me after a week I was leaner than lean! lol