• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Starting IF bulking, is it too much?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by crormaSoila18, Sep 10, 2012.

1. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Hello, thought I'd give IF (Intermittent Fasting) a try but whilst bulking as apparently helps with mass if you eat the right amount of calories and BF% dropping.
      I am 79kg (176lbs?) been training for about 6 months seriously but being a student has caused problems with money and getting enough calories.
      I'm doing the standard 12-8 fasting regiment shown on Lean gains, I've worked out the calories I need/want which is 3200. I'm just not sure if this seems to be too much too eat in 8 hours.. Thanks for any opinions/information.
      Also I train 5 times a week a normal split - Shoulders/tris, chest/bis, back/legs, arms, 300(Spartan), 20 minutes HIIT cardio after every session.

Meal
      Chicken breast, sweet potato, pasta, white fish fillet and some nuts to fill up the extras.
      That's pretty much the meal, repetitive but I'm not bothered by that.
      It's about 1000 - 1200 calories give or take, I have 3 meals of this a day. First meal at 12-1pm then train 2-3.30pm meal two 4-5pm then last meal 7-8pm.
      This all equals up to 396g carbs, 280g protein and 46g fat.
      I am completely new to the site and nutrition, first time trying to organise myself.

2. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Starting IF bulking, is it too much?

If you think it's too much to eat in 8hours then don't do IF.

IF has no magical benefits over regular eating. It's a useful tool in appetite control and that's why people do it while cutting.

Also, your macros are way off. Read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too much to eat physically, I've just never ate this much ha.

Thanks though, I'll look into the thread shown. Much appreciated.

4. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

I think people get a little too carried away with the IF protocol. As mentioned, how often you eat has no impact on your goals. Personally, I find eating bulking meals in an 8-hour span to be tiresome and I'd rather just spread three or four large meals over a larger window. If you find you can't eat all of this in 8 hours, then I would recommend simply not trying to do it in 8 hours.

Other notes:

- Why are you doing HIIT after every session if you are bulking?
      - Your fat content is way too low. It should be at least 70g (40% of your body weight in pounds).

5. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I'll just eat over a larger window.

I'm not no more, that's what I was doing, should of left that part out.
      Oh okay then, thanks man.

6. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

First of all your workout routine is not optimal in my opinion. You have a day with legs/back (two major muscle groups) but then an entire day devoted to arms which can easily be hit at the end of workouts.

2nd you're protein is WAY too high and your fats are WAY too low. Adjust fats to at least 90g a day, protein anywhere from 180-230g and the rest carbs. Throw in eggs or PB both are cheap and will help you hit calories while getting in good fats.

3rd, yes you can bulk on IF, I do it. Why? Because it fits my schedule and I love eating 3 meals of roughly 1000 calories. If you're having trouble eating that much in 8 hours rest assured the only thing that truly matters at the end of the day is your calorie consumption at the end of the day.

7. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind I wasn't trying to prescribe you a way of eating in my post; just letting you know that the approach is flexible, and you aren't confined to an 8-hour eating window by any means.

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

I expected some criticism about the back/legs day, I'm not even sure why I do it like that, just kind of happened one day, but I agree about the arms.

Alright man, cool stuff I was thinking about the eggs but never got them involved..

Not going to lie, I don't think I ever ate this much before, just seemed abnormal for me so I was just wondering if 3200 calories split between 3 meals is alright and not dangerous (stupid I know).
      Thanks for all that information though.

9. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

We have similar stats and I am bulking on IF with the same daily caloric intake as you.. But I will tell you, your macros are way off.. You need more Fat and less Protein.. I'm normally in the 200g-215g of protein range, which is more than what I need, I just do a little extra to make sure I hit my bases

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Split routines in general are sub-optimal. Try full body 3x a week.