• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Red wine?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by AnnaU93, Apr 14, 2013.

1. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

I have heard so many myths concerning the fact that drinking red wine during the week can actually benefit your health or even your heart health?
      I am still not sure if there is any truth to this till this day.
      What are your thoughts on this? Is this just a way to get consumers to buy more alcoholic beverages?(haha).

2. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

I really like a good pinot noir after a long day. The slow carb diet I was on allowed for up to to 2 4oz glasses a day. I think for a drinker that wants to cut out the beer or the liquor carbs its great. I know red wine in small doses isn't ever going to be bad for you. I've heard it for years and done a good amount of reading on it.

Though its probably best to abstain from any alcohol to be the "healthiest."

3. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

There are some health benefits in wine from the unique antioxidants like polyphenol. A glass of red will also lower your stress and we know stress is one of the biggest killers. A glass of red a day will keep the doctor away ;).

4. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Haha! My grandpa used to say "a half bottle of port wine a night, would keep you feeling alright." And sure enough he would have a half of a bottle a night for as long as I can remember and he lived well into his 80s. Grandpas cant be wrong, can they? : p

• Like Like x 2
    5. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

Thank you! I feel like I can now allow my family to buy more red wine(haha).
      I'll have to do more research on polyphenol but it sounds very promising.
      Thank you again for setting the myth apart from the facts.:)

6. abetterme

abetterme Member

I think red wine is one of the best alcoholic drinks there is. I have drank it during periods of calorie reduction and I continued to lose weight. So, I think it is safe to drink when trying to reduce one's weight. I can't say the same for beer!

7. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

The problem with wine is how it is produced and all the nasty ingredients they add to it. You think you are drinking pure wine because there is usually no ingredients list on the bottle, the reality is quite different.

You could try mead, a honey wine, a popular choice in Paleo circles. Alcohol would not have been alien to our ancestors, I'm sure they would have eaten fermented fruits and realised it alters their mental state.

8. bsge11

bsge11 Member

I heard red wine is good for your heart. I'm sure they published that fact in a medicine journal or something. Obviously not overdue the drinking of alcohol.

9. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

Yes, you're right about this.
      Even if this is good for the heart it is good in moderate just like for any other food that we eat. We can't overdue it especially with something like alcohol so I would get your hopes up if you are someone who likes an extra drink!