• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Protein shakes?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Zonezan, Nov 8, 2012.

1. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

Yes, shakes are convenient and there's nothing wrong in a post-workout shake, so long as you are not relying on protein shakes for the bulk of your protein consumption. The vast majority of your protein should come from food.

2. audiophox

audiophox Member

Casein is good for overnight, Whey is perfect for after training! Keep in mind you also gotta eat other food.

3. musclemad

Eat a big meal and your muscle will not waste away during sleep. There's no need to force feed yourself a load of cottage cheese in the attempt to prevent muscle loss during sleep. Eat a big meal of meat with fat and vegetables, that will suffice.

4. Gift3d

Gift3d Member

if you have whey drink it with water so It is slow digesting, that way you should be fine at night.... I have a really good feeling that you dont need to worry about muscle loss during the nights if you don't already know the answer to your question.

Just eat a good dinner at a decent hour and you will be ok... Don't do what bodybuilders do when you are a beginner.

5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel Member

I've recently been advised to have a protein shake after my workout. I don't know the scientific reasons for this besides just replenishing the body and your energy level. I also heard it helps prevent muscle soreness. If I do have a protein shake, I tend to just use half a serving of whey and a bit of unsweetened almond milk so I'm not consuming too many calories.

6. kubica

kubica Member

I agree with this. So much advice is aimed at seasoned bodybuilders. I find a lot of the advice is not applicable to someone like me, who stays in shape but doesn't go "all-in" as far as training is concerned.

I rarely drink shakes, though when I do I just make them with milk+ whey protein, and usually drink it after the training session as it might take a while for me to get home.

7. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

I usually only drink them in the morning and this is what works for me.
      I just feel it energizes me to a point where I feel I can conquer the whole day and not be tired if I have a very long schedule.
      As for drinking protein drinks at night this is something I stay away from because they usually give me so much energy that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.
      I also stay away from eating at night in general so I could never see myself drinking this before bed.

8. musclemad

One unflavoured protein shake contains 120 calories, that's not a lot at all and the calories are from protein and protein is not very good at being stored as fat.

A calorie is not a calorie, calorie counting is for train wrecks.

9. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

This. A lot of bodybuilders will eat 6oz of cottage cheese before bed, look into that. Protein shakes should supplement your diet not replace meals and the best time to have a shake would be within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.

10. musclemad

Your muscles will not waste away if you don't eat a load of casein before bed. Losing muscle is not as easy as you may think and a meal of meat with fat and a little fiber from vegetables will take long to be fully absorbed.