• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Potato diet

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by musclemad, Mar 25, 2013.

1. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the potato diet?

You basically eat only potatoes for two weeks. The results I've read are very impressive, not only for weight loss but also for key health markers like fasting glucose and triglycerides.

2. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 Active Member

I have never heard of this diet. I feel that usually with these types of diets in which you only eat one or two things for a while will end up backfiring because you will start craving other foods as a result right after you get off the potato diet.
      I personally think people are only successfull with it for a short term time frame.

3. untitled

untitled Member

What? Don't see how this could be healthy at all..

4. musclemad

Why not? Potatoes are a whole food and they are quite nutritious as well.

Of course, it's not a diet for the long term but I think it is a good short term stimulus for losing weight.

5. abetterme

abetterme Member

I don't know. I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm restricting my carbs. I don't think I would try this diet for that reason. It might work for you, though.

6. musclemad

It will work for everything. I am an advocate of low-carb myself but this diet is extremely effective on a short term basis. The key to the diet is not to eat any fat with the potatoes. it will be even more effective if you are fat-adapted and low-carb before starting the diet as your body will burn the glucose more efficiently. Removing fat and protein from the diet forces the body to adapt and start burning lots of fat.

7. musclemad

8. Angelle

Angelle Member

I never thought that this could be healthy. Every time I have eaten a potato, I seem to put on more weight or stay the same size. I don't think that I would try this...is there any vitamins in potato's? I like to consume vitamins daily. I love to try new things when it comes to health so as of right now I say that I wouldn't try it but after a few researches my decision may change. if I find out that it is healthy, and nothing harmful can be done to the body then I wouldn't have a problem with trying this. Thanks for the info.

9. musclemad

Yes, potatoes are nutritious whole food, they contain lots of potassium and vitamin C, more than certain green vegetables. They also contain a complete profile of amino acids.

Eating only potatoes is completely different, you shouldn't compare it. Just try it for a week and see what happens.

10. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibel Member

I would not be able to survive on this diet because I'm really not a fan of potatoes. Even if you like them, I think you would end up hating them by the end of the two weeks. However, I do love sweet potatoes. But this is still not something I would ever try.