• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Post-workout Nutrition Myths

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by alomjabpd, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Post-workout Nutrition Myths

This seems to be the latest craze, and is being further encouraged by a few so called 'research articles', that, when you read the original sources, are poorly designed, poorly controlled studies conducted on either animals, or very small numbers of humans. Look at all the best natural physique athletes in the world, and see how many follow the whole 'IIFYM' or IF approach.

2. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

i like that guys videos and i've subscribed to his channel. he explains things well. its funny the little fued he has with the hodgetwins lol!

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

IIFYM & IF are different animals to what we are discussing here. IIFYM is simply a means of debunking the notion of chicken breast & brown rice 6 times a day, or 'clean eating', whatever the hell that actually means. Couldn't eat coco pops post workout if they didn't fit your macros could you?

I never said your chosen regimen doesn't work, I just questioned the necessity. To each their own IMO.

And by 'natural physique athletes', are you referring to guys like Skip Lacour? Because by his own admission, he defines 'natural' as using any substance not currently on the banned list. IE; Pro-hormones. Not sure what other people think, but that doesn't match my definition of natural.

4. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

I was thinking more like Warren Clampit, Justin Firgaira, Aaron Curtis, Tim Martin, as examples. Anyway, that's off topic.

As you say, each to their own.

5. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Ok I understand what he is saying, however wouldn't working out and then not eating for a prolonged period of time increase the chance of your body entering a catabolic state?
      And as mentioned before about the popularity of say dextrose being added to pre and/or post workout shakes, are we now suggesting that this is not needed?

I mostly train mornings and add some dextrose to some biocharge because I train fasted and feel that I need the carbs for energy. But if it's not really needed to replace muscle glycogen and it won't spike insulin significantly enough to be anabolic, is there the need? Should I be having a small meal before training instead.

I know alot of this has been discussed in previous threads but I have been reading so many conflicting theories I'm getting confused.

Mino, I know your a big fan of getting a major percentage of your nutrients from whole foods, I would like to hear your take on it, as well as anyone else how has an opinion.

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

My logic is, just eat/drink post workout! your covering all bases that way. To say your not massively depleted after a big workout may be true, I still feel sick, weak and shaky after a leg day, and I need carbs to get my insulin back to a level where I feel normal again (10-20 grams will usually suffice). If there's nothing "bad" about eating in the "post workout window" just do it anyway. Hey, there might even be an ounce of truth to the old myth... you never know.