• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • opinion needed on a work issue

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by laxgoaliesrhs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

At work (manc airport) we got a lot of over time, 12 hour shifts, which I undertake

Thing is, its so busy, so understaffed that you do not get a break, and you do not get to eat, as you can't eat in the office, and you can't get away from the office to sit down to eat.

So, after doing two whole night shifts, no breaks no food, driving constantly all night, rushed and hectic I was offered a third night.

So, by midnight, six hour into my shift I thought sod this I need some food, I was told no were to busy, so I asked at what point would I be allowed to eat, I was then told every else doesnt, so deal with it.

So, I upped sticks and went home, from a voluntary overtime shift

Now there trying discipline me.

My argument is.

It's against health and saftey to work 12 hours with no break, dangerous driving other people vehicle while tired due to no breaks, illegal, no duty of care for the staff, and if I do crash a car, its me that's liable.

What does everyone else think? What would you have done, and how would you approach this disciplinary?

Cheers.

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

opinion needed on a work issue

its not only against health and safety for breaks...its also illegal. They have no grounds, find the legislation you need, present it. they will drop it because if you are sacked with unfair dismissal, it will cost them a lot.

3. Marky

Marky Well-Known Member

I informed management I was going home, and cancelled the following nights over time on valet.

They won't sack me, just attempt to give me a warning of some sorts.

But, I feel I'm well in the right here.

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

5. littlemudda

littlemudda Well-Known Member

Last edited by Andy 67; Today at 12:15 PM.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Sounds like my mrs, she works mad shifts, doesn't get time to get proper breaks and eat well, ends up eating very late at night and it's messing her up, stressing her out.

She 'downed tools' the other night and walked out, told her manager she was under too much pressure and feeling stressed. She has requested a meeting with her manager to discuss the situation and raise her concerns, but her manager has fobbed her off a couple of times now.

She has returned to work, but is not a happy bunny.

I feel for ya pal, not easy with so much labour force out of work, and a general feeling that our employers will just **** you off and replace you with someone who will work 12hrs without a break. Mental.

As previously said above though, legally they haven't a leg to stand on.

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

8. suighja

If this was me to be a bit of a sh.it I would state very loudly "I think all this working without a break is gonna make me ill, thats the last thing we need round here".

9. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Its illegal to have no breaks in a 12 hour shift, they have more grounds to discipline you for not taking your breaks than they do because you take them

10. suighja

What sort of driving do you do Alan? I'd have thought the BAA would have rules on this as well.