• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Kai's upper/lower back

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Gossip' started by suighja, May 1, 2012.

1. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

This is merely just me putting it out there about my thoughts/opinion about Kai's back.

Most backs follow the same suit - upper gets developed and is more noticeable than the lower. Then with time, the lower portion of the lats get thicker and a good lower back is developed (or not as is the case with a lot of pros)

I remember the train with Dorian series where Dorian trained some gym rat and explained stuff as he went along. One thing he said was that when doing rows of any kind but mostly on bent over rows, concentrate on the lower portion of the lats doing the work so as to really hit the lower part of the lats (that make up the Xmas tree)

He says 'you never see anybody with a poor upper back and a really developed lower portion, do you?'

Well, my first observation of Kais back has always been he has seriously thick lower lats. Also, however, his traps are pretty much the poorest of the top tier pros. Basically, Kai is the person that Dorian hypothetically describes. But I'm certainly not saying Kai has a weak upper back/traps, just not as developed as the lower.

It could be coincidence but I really do believe the way Kai trains means he is hitting that lower lat region and taking away from hitting the upper part, therefore not having the best traps, but winning in lower thickness all day.

It makes sense from a biomechanical standpoint.

I just wonder what he would look like if he trained more like a 'regular' pro who has good upper back/traps but has to then try to get the lower lats thicker.

I think Kai with traps like Coleman would be awesome and hard to beat from the back.

Note: 'lower lats' and 'upper lats' is a reference to the lower and upper portion of the lat muscle, NOT that there are separate lat muscles, an upper and lower. Just before someone says 'there's no such thing as a lower lat'

Mandatory thread picture:

[​IMG]

2. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

He doesn't have weak traps. He has a short neck which detracts from large traps

3. adabook

adabook Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

I would love to see hit his traps specifically and try to bring them up like Arnold did with his calves. Would be the finishing touch on an already awesome back.

Kais such a perfectionist i think its probably more of a genetic thing than any kinda training malfunction tho.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

This guy has a future.

5. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

I don't think they could insert any higher without literally touching his ears, so yeah. This.

6. landmenn

landmenn Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

I think you can see his lack of trap development in comparison to other top pros in back double biceps and most muscular more so, but even lat spread his traps look a little flat.

7. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

Training might play a very small role, but the major reason is genetics. You don't get lats like that by just focusing on that area more than the top.

8. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

It just looks so plain.

9. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

Remember the chop in the other thread? Kai with Coleman's traps, you couldn't see any difference between his and Kai's middle-lower portions. I'd say that's good enough reason to believe it's not a development issue, especially considering how obsessive he gets with his workouts.

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Kai's upper/lower back

Last thing I wanna do is make this a Kai vs Ronnie thread, but here is Ronnie with very good traps as we know, the lat spread looks sooo much better having the shoulders at one level and then the traps come out and make another level again. The 'flat' look across lat spreads (which Kai has) looks like there's something missing (because there is, traps!)

[​IMG]

Also, is some of the reason of this flat look because he is lifting his shoulders too high during lat spreads (front and back)?? He does seem to lift those shoulder really high! Coleman on the other hand simply looks like his shoulders are kept at the same height when he hits a lat spread...