• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • I fear I am losing LBM, can someone check my math?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by defelqy, May 15, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to get my diet in check for the past few months on a trial and error basis.
      Cutting on 2000 cal/day, 180P/ 60F / rest carbs.
      By keeping an eye on what I eat I’ve gone from 225 to 210 this morning but I am concerned about what exactly I am losing.
      My body fat has gone from 23.x to 21.x. These body fat % readings were taken on a scale that does BF% so I know they are to be taken with a grain of salt. The only reason I use the scale BF% is to track the trend of weight loss v. fat loss. Readings are taken in the morning after bathroom etc.

My concern is that I am losing weight consistently but the body fat% doesn’t seem to change much.

My stats are 210lbs 21% BF and assuming my LBM stays the same, I would need to lose 2.1lbs to see a 1% drop in body fat, right?
      Since I’ve lost 15lbs and my BF% only dropped 2.x%, that means I’ve been losing a good amount of LBM and need to eat more?

I lift heavy 3x a week and do 25 minutes of moderate cardio after every session.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I fear I am losing LBM, can someone check my math?

Your caloric intake looks extremely low. What's your estimated BMR and TDEE?

I'd increase dietary fat intake to at least 90 grams per day and, especially with such an acute energy deficit, I'd increase protein intake to 210 grams per day.

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Its all a learning process for me, many thanks for the help.
      Using the Karch-McArdle method my BMR comes out to be 2080 cal and TDEE is 2496 (desk job).
      You have actually mentioned my cals being low before but calculations always come up with BMR between 2000-2150ish. MyFitnessPal lists my TDEE at 2700.
      My lifts have been progressing, albeit slowly.

I've been down this road before, losing weight but not BF% so I'm trying to avoid that this time.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

You're probably using the wrong activity factor, as from what you describe of your exercise program, it's unlikely that you're below 1.4.

5. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Stick to the stickies to find your sweet spot. mfp is great for tracking but I wouldn't trust it for needs calculations to much. Once you find your sweet spot you'll learn to adjust without having to use the equations. Start with like a 1.6ish activity factor and try it for a few weeks and then adjust based on results!

6. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Yea?
      Eating more is easy enough hah.

What about my math, assuming LBM stays the same that 2.1lb of fat would equal a loss of 1% BF?

You're right about MFP there miacanesfan25, I only use it for tracking intake but I saw that calculation on there and compared it to what I had come up with to see how far off my calcs were.
      My weight loss has been between 2.3lbs-3.3lbs/week depending if you measure friday to friday or monday to monday

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

FYI: The scale that you're using is an impedance device, which is extremely inaccurate at estimated BF.

8. butjhaphoyk

butjhaphoyk Well-Known Member

Incorrect.

9. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Help me out brother, my math skills are lacking.

True the scale is inaccurate, I just use it to establish a trend.

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

If you lack math skills, I suggest you use http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139442283 instead.