• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • how often to train on legs?

Discussion in 'Sports Training' started by defelqy, Jul 20, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

i want to start doing conditioning work for rugby 5 days a week, instead of just 3 like i am now. i'm just a little wary of going so hard on my legs 5 days a week. so i'm wondering, do pro rugby and (american) football players do conditioning work like plyometrics or sprints on consecutive days? i'd imagine that they do, or else they wouldn't be in such good shape, but idk if they don't so they can let them recover. thoughts? please don't just guess & use knowledge about bodybuilding b/c most bodybuilders wouldn't do consecutive days of HIIT but bodybuilders and pro football/rugby players don't have the same goals.

sorry if this sounds like a rant or that i answered my own question cuz i didn't. thanks guys!

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

how often to train on legs?

hopefully you will get much better answers then mine (maybe one of these spam guys?) and I know you said no guesses but this is an educated guess and it's better then nothing, but from what I understand you don't want to do plyometrics more then 2-3 times a week at most. PROFESSIONAL athletes probably do it every other day or maybe daily but they have access to the best recovery science/techniques including constant massages/hyperberic chamber/whirpool ice baths, etc. I would lift heavy legs every other day and that 2nd time do plyometrics after (do it before and you can't lift as heavy and won't get same benefit, do it after and you're really pushing them) so basically legs/no legs/legs+plyo/no legs/legs/no legs/ legs +plyo

3. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Lift heavy once or twice a week, then do plyometrics and sprints 1-2x a week. Make sure you try to get at least 2 days of recovery (preferably 3) in between these sessions. Fit in your conditioning and rugby practice in other days (though you could do conditioning on the same days, but in a separate session several hours later). Example:

Monday: Plyometrics + Lower Body
      Tuesday: Conditioning
      Wednesday: Conditioning
      Thursday: Plyometrics + Lower Body
      Friday: Conditioning
      Saturday: Sprints
      Sunday: Off

4. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice you guys, i really appreciate it. i think what i kind of want to know though, is would it be detrimental to to sprints (possibly sprints up a hill) / plyos, and/or lower body workouts (with weights) on consecutive days. like would this example of a weekly routine be bad (cuz this is what i had in mind to start doing):

sunday: rest
      mon: plyos, full body lifting session, interval running
      tues: sprints, interval running
      wed:same as mon
      thurs: same as tues
      fri: same as mon
      sat: very light cardio/rest

5. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

What are you specifically doing for your sprint and interval training? Some people might be able to get away with it, those with good genetics and that optimise their recovery but I think most people would eventually stall or plateau. A day rest in the middle of the week before you repeat the "cycle" might be a good idea. You should probably keep it to 2 heavy lower body sessions and have 2 days IN BETWEEN (so mon and thurs for example). People do train lower body 3x a week but that's usually ONLY squats and deadlifts (no other accessory lifts) and with minimal plyos and sprints. You can still make great strength and size gains from 2 sessions a week.

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

You would probably be over-doing it my friend. Unless you have good recovery, and are eating like an absoloute ****ing monster you would probably over train and end up burning out. Also, it will seem like a chore constantly doing all this stuff and you wont want to do it, when really you should be enjoying it.

7. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

nfl players do steroids so u shouldnt base your recovery ability on how often they train

8. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

i'll start by saying that im doing the madcow 5x5 program in the gym so i am only doing squats (mon, wed, fri) and deadlifts (only wed) for my lower body. for sprints i do something that my coach has us do which is similar to suicides, i do 5 100 yd sprints, and sprints of 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 yds. and for intervals i'll usually do about 20 min or so of jogging slowly 2 minutes for every 1 minute of full speed running. i also just started taking ice baths after my workouts so i feel like that will certainly help my recovery. what do you think?

i think i do have pretty good recovery, to be honest. and trust me, i eat plenty haha, nutrition isn't a problem for me. and i don't think i'll have to worry about it seeming like a chore. this is truely what i love to do and i'm very passionate about it; and if i start to get bored with my routine i can always tweek the workouts a little bit to keep it interesting.

i know that most of them do but i also know that there are some who don't juice. so i know it's possible to train like them to a certain extent without drugs

btw i really appreciate all the input from everyone

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Last edited by LittleSam; Today at 09:20 AM. Reason: forgot last line

10. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

maybe some kickers and qbs dont juice, pretty much everyone else juices. have to to remain competitive

Tags: