• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • How much should athletes weigh for speed?

Discussion in 'Sports Training' started by pustehull, Feb 24, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

How much should athletes weigh for speed?

Last edited by drs151; Today at 02:50 PM.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

See there is your problem, and what you are confused about and what I am trying to explain to you. why are you afraid to put on muscle? if its done right, it will only make you faster and stronger. So why do you want to from a good bf% in the low to mid 90's all the way down to 180?

don't worry about your total weight. Like I keep saying. Why do you want to be 180 at 8-10% bf and not in the 190's at the same bf?

just don't look at your overall weight. JUST look at your bf. So dont say you want to be 12% at 185. Just say you want to cut down to 12% without losing much muscle. And don't say your overall goal is 8-10% bf at 180lbs.....just focus on your goal of 8-10% bodyfat. You are better off weighing in the 190's at 8-10% than 180's

so my question is....why do you keep looking at overall weight and not just focus on bf?

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Im not afraid to put on muscle. My body has a little bit to much fat right now so im cutting down a little bit. I just know realistically I wont be putting on much muscle before summer because im only bulking for 2.5 months. I like most people want to be cut for summer so I guess I could bulk in the summer but id rather do it in the fall. Im just saying my short term goal which is by the end of summer is around 8-10%bodyfat and I know realistically I wont beable to put enough muscle on before then to be at 8-10% at 190. Realistically I will probably be around 180 in order to be 8-10 % by the end of summer.

So basically I made this thread because I know what I will be at the end of summer. Im just wondering where to go from there. I never said I dont want to be 190 at 8-10%. instead of 180 at 8-10%. I just know by the end of summer that is not possible at 190. So my question was for what should I do once I cut down to 180ish by the end of summer. Keep bulking or try to gain strength without size etc etc. Im just trying to find the right playing weight as guys like Michael phelps have racing weights. They know they have prime speed at a certain weight (and yes of course a low bodyfat percentage) When I say weight Im assuming a low bodyfat percentage.

4. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Well we can't tell you what your playing weight is because everyone has a different playing weight and different desires. Some hockey players like playing light and are willing to focus on that rather than strength. Others like putting on a little extra and playing with a little more power and less speed and quickness. It all depends on you.

so right now you are at 190 at 14% bf. You said you want to go down to 185 at 12% bf. Then add 6-7 pounds of muscle (there will be some fat with it), so that will probably put you back up near 14% bf. And then you want to cut all the way down to 180 at 8-10%. So it was pointless for you to focus all that time to go down to 185 at 12% just to take it back up to 14% and then all the way back down again. see what I am saying? Also what I am trying to say is since your goal is to lose bf...stop looking at your weight. You goal shouldnt be 185 at 12% or 180 at 8% bf. It should be 12%bf....8%bf...and whichever you weight is when you get down to either of those %'s then thats that. Yes you want to try to not lose so much muscle while lower bf% but your overall weight shouldnt be a goal for you right now, your bf% should be. Your goal is to get from 14%bf to around 8-10% and ya you are right, you should put on muscle too.

So instead of going from cutting to bulking back to cutting. You should go in one direction...reach that goal and then goal in the other direction and reach that goal. I think you should just cut first. Instead of cutting down to 185 at 12% and then bulking, and then cutting down to 180 at 8-10%, you should just take out the 185 at 12% and cut down to 8-10%bf.....not 180 at 8-10%...just 8-10% whether your weight will be 175 or 185 at that %. And then once you reach that 8-10% goal. Try to clean bulk to add on some muscle and not too much fat.