• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Help! Teen girl trying to build muscle

Discussion in 'Female Bodybuilding' started by Korporalegq, Jul 20, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Help! Teen girl trying to build muscle

I am in recovery. I am also about to begin 10th grade.

2. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

You should NOT be lifting at all.

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

I feel lifting has helped in keeping my eating disorder in check. I am so inspired by bodybuilding. I want to look like a fitness/figure model & to idk that must build muscle. I don't see any other way to go. I have a dietician that has approved me for weight training. & cardio

4. barquearnu

barquearnu Well-Known Member

As long as you know it's going to take months before you begin to show some bulk and years before you look like one of the builders, you should be okay. Btw, cheating is ok on your diet. I had popcorn tonight and I don't feel guilty at all. If you don't have checks and balances, food gets boring.

5. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Just want to say well done and that's an amazing goal and I feel the same way. I'm still new to all this but I've had an ED for over 6 years now and this year I've finally been trying to get things right and I've had slip ups and getting help- but that method isn't right for me but my biggest thing is ME. I'm doing it for me and everything on here has truly helped me so, so much. It's educated me in the right way, keeping me focused and I have a good, healthy goal. I do carry more bodyfat now than I used to because I put weight on more in the wrong way but I want to build muscle and burn fat and know you have to eat for that- so that's really keeping me going.
      It is a slow process and I know it's going to take a long time but it's going to be worthwhile! Restricting so heavy just ain't sustainable for life and it's only now understand that more. I had a bit of a relapse in may and straight away I noticed my workouts were just useless, I really struggled again with the weights. So it does make a difference! I'm glad your dietician supports you too.

It's hard when you have a history of an ED for other people to understand your goal and changes to lifestyle- my friend still things im a 'maniac' with working out and obsessive but I'm not. I'm doing it the right way for me.

So best of luck to you and I hope it helps you so much and lets you become happier in yourself too. Keep up the work!

6. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

From your join date, can I assume you started lifting in March of this year? So you said lifting has helped you? You contradicted yourself by saying you relapsed.

7. Bernatek

Bernatek Well-Known Member

I totally understand. I myself was a compulsive exerciser & over exercised. Enrolling myself in a treatment center really helped me.

8. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

I didn't quite start lifting in March, I was learning a lot more and joined then and eating regular but I did relapse in May but it wasn't long term. I've managed to get myself back out of it which has been mainly helped by this- wanting to get stronger and build muscle. That goal has helped me get back on track. I do still have up and down days but its not like it was and it's still early days yet. But my mindset has changed/changing a lot with the more I learn and understand about weight training. So I do think it can be a positive and beneficial thing if your trying to get better.

9. crormaSoila18

Yeah, me too. And thinking back to it now, I used to work out twice a day for so long- all cardio based and really heavily restricting, I don't know how I did it. I know in time though I got too weak for any of that and I do enjoy exercise and more so now. But I still didn't have the body I wanted at 79lbs...it's now I realise I need to build muscle for that which means eating. I'm really glad the center helped for you! And I really do wish you all the best with this. : )

10. crormaSoila18

First of all, professional help is a must. I hope you are getting that help and following suit.

From your above posts you still have issues with disordered eating. You should not be a vegetarian, pale, or on any other kind of food limiting diet. Nor should you look at foods like french fries and pound cake as evil fitness or diet busters. They're not. You can work any food into your diet. You should be able to eat anything and easily maintain your goals. It's all about moderation.

Right now you're under weight and probably from your anorexia under muscled. Since you're cleared for exercise, lifting is a good choice. Cardio is not. My bet is you, like most, used cardio as a weight loss tool. And you're addicted. Now's the time to break that habit. You should be on a good full body 3x week lifting routine. All that's needed beyond that is some walking. But more importantly, a life that has nothing to do with exercise or diet.

Your professional help should include diet and nutrition. What are they telling you? Are you getting sufficient good fats in your diet? And seriously, drop the vegetarian diet. It's challenging enough when healthy to get all the nutrients your body needs much less when recovering from an ED.