• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Eating at a surplus, inducing a deficit with cardio

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by herunder88, May 7, 2012.

1. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what overall effect this would have? Would it equate to a clean bulk, body recomp, or a slight cut? I'm about to end my cut and would like to add some lean body mass, while gaining as little fat as possible (possibly continuing to lose it). Will rep

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Eating at a surplus, inducing a deficit with cardio

Depends. If your maintenance is 2.5k, you ate at 2.8k and did 500cals of cardio (can't know for sure generally how much you burned but a rough estimate will work) you're still at a net deficit of 200cals. You will lose weight at a very slow rate.

If you want to gain significant muscle it will be more efficient to eat 10-20% over maintenance and if you do additional cardio ontop of that, eat those calories back. Although it is possible for you to add on muscle while in a deficit it's far less efficient and will likely be a pittance.

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

If cardio causes you to be at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. You can still gain muscle at a caloric deficit. However, if you want to bulk, I would recommend eating above maintenance. Start at +10%.

4. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Its simply mathematics. If your still in a deficit then your still going to lose weight, just probably slower than you would on a normal cut.

5. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Not likely.

6. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks all. Would it be advantageous to do a slightly dirty bulk, but add cardio to make it in the clean range? I know theres a difference in eating (for example) 3000 calories, and eating 3500 calories and doing 500 calories worth of cardio; but I'm not sure exactly how it impacts metabolism

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

It still comes down to calories in and calories out. If you are doing cardio, you are raising your expenditure. If you then still want to stay at +10% TDEE (for example), you will need to eat more calories. Of course, there are other benefits to doing cardio than just being able to eat more (or lose faster).

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

9. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

There isn't a significant difference (if any) with regard to body composition. That's what i'd do just cause I dowant more food

10. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be eating a surplus because your in a deficit. Your maintence calories is adjusted by your daily activity you don't have a set maintence that won't change regardless of activity.

Say your maintence was 2600 before then you add in more cardio your maintence calories would adjust to say 2800 depending on the amount of cardio.